It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2006, 07:07 AM   #1
(female)

LINSCYCLIST HB User
does hpv ever come back once treated?

I had laser treatment in 1989 for mild dysplasia (caused by wart virus) when I was 23 years old. Since then all my smears have been negative thank goodness. However, recently I started to have a little bit of spotting on one day of the month right in the middle of my cycle. I went to the doctors and she took a smear and also said that she noticed something called cervical erosion. my last smear 2 years ago was negative but now I am really worried that it might have come back.

My doctor says that cervical erosions are common and not to worry but you can't help but worry can you? Can anyone give me some information about both wart virus - can it come back once it has been treated, and also about cervical erosions.

thanks very much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2006, 09:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
Re: does hpv ever come back once treated?

There's no way to treat the wart virus. Treating dysplasia does NOT get rid of the virus, it just gets rid of the dysplasia. The virus can still be in your body for many years.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
(female)

thekat HB User

Once you are diagnosed with HPV you will ALWAYS have it. It is a virus that NEVER goes away unfortunately!!

Old 08-13-2006, 01:27 AM   #4
(female)

edu789 HB User

No, that is not true. Your body can get rid of the virus naturally...if it is causing dyplasia though that usually means that your body hasn't gotten rid of it or couldn't before it caused that damage.

I had a leep for severe dysplasia last year and have had several normal paps since and my doc actually tested me for the virus last time and said it was gone and that I should now be immune (to that strand at least)

Old 08-13-2006, 11:34 AM   #5
(female)

jumpinhorse HB User

I sure wish there was some CLEAR information out there about HPV. I am a cervical cancer survivor. I have done so much research on "will HPV ever go away" and I have gotten too much conflicting information. Some say yes, some say no and some say HPV goes dormant. I have even heard conflicting things from different doctors. From what I have gathered, the majority says it does not go away...ever. The chances of reoccurance are very low but the chance is still there. I have to get a pap every six months. For this reason, I suspect the HPV is still in my body. But, if it will ever go away or not or if it will go dormant...I just don't know.

Closed Thread