It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2006, 08:19 PM   #1

maisydaze HB User
Exclamation + HPV, but Normal Pap Smears..what is the deal?

I was told today that I have HPV, but the DR. said I had a normal pap smear. I am 24 years old and know HPV is very common among my age group. He wants me to go for a colscopy, but after much research on the web tonight I would rather wait 6-12 months then be retested. The HPV could clear my system on it's own. Why would he want me to get a colscopy, if I have a normal pap?? Also, how should I tell my partner that I have HPV? I have no idea what to say.

Thanks advance!
Totally Confused

Old 08-15-2006, 06:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User
Re: + HPV, but Normal Pap Smears..what is the deal?

I really don't understand why your doctor would want you to have a Colposcopy...I guess he's just being overly cautious. HPV is so very common but is a virus that can cause cervical cancer. But I don't understand why he'd think that was necessary since the pap came back clear? I hope you can make your BF realize that hpv is so common that almost everyone that's sexually active has this virus. There isn't even an hpv test for men yet!!!!! I think that this hpv/cancer link discovery is a new thing and I'm think doctors haven't quite figured out how to approach it. When I had an abnormal pap, my doctor informed me that it was caused by hpv and didn't even test me. I have since been informed that that is not 100% true and that cervical cancer and abnormal cells can be caused by something else. A colposcopy is not painful though and is a visual examination of your cervix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread