It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2006, 04:32 PM   #1
(female)

mskubic HB User
Hpv

Hi

I am new to this board I am usually on the acid reflux site.

I will try to make this short. In 2000 I had my last pelvic exam which came back normal. I lost my job in 2001 and decided to go back to school and take a couple of years off. I got a new job and this past June had my first pelvic like I stated earlier since 2000. A couple of weeks after the exam I got a call from the doc stating I had HPV and that I needed to come back every year for a check up. I was kind of dumb struck because I had never heard of this STD before and have done some research on it since my diagnosis. What I want to know is this a relatively new test that they perform with paps because my pap was normal in 2000. I have been with the same man since 1998 so I do not know how I got it. I am just wondering if maybe I have had this longer and they never tested me for it. I am concerned that I have passed it on to my husband.

Also, is HPV a new virus that they recently uncovered or what. I hope I am not rambling too much I am just scared and concerned about this.

Thanks
Marsha

Old 09-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User
Re: Hpv

Hello. As far as I know they will usually only test if your pap comes back abnormal. Otherwise there wouldn't be a need to test. Have they suggested a colposcopy? That is usually the next step. Then go from there as far as treatment is concerned. Or if it turns out to be mild they may want you to re-pap in 3 to 6 months to see if it has cleared up on it's own. I wouldn't go a whole year before testing again. It can lay dormant for many years before it shows up (it was at least 12 years for me). Your immune system may have been down a little allowing the virus to show. Chances are you have passed it to your husband (or you may have gotten from him, you will never know, nor does it really matter at this point as it is such a common virus and pretty much unavoidable to be exposed to it). Men don't have any symptoms, but it can *very rarely* cause penile cancer in men.I know it's hard to take at first, but as you learn more about it you will feel better. Hope I've answered your questions. Look into getting the colposcopy.

Last edited by Mom22greatkids; 09-07-2006 at 04:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
(female)

Sugarhi16 HB User

Marsha,

I want to get something straight, you said that the Doctor said that you had HPV, not an abnormal pap smear, correct? If that is correct then the Doctor probably wanted to stress the importance of coming in yearly to be screened since it has been 6 years since your last pap. Yearly visits will make sure that the HPV doesn't cause any precancerous changes to the cervix.

HPV is what I call the quiet STD. Nearly everyone has it, but nobody talks about it, at least not until recently. I had never heard of it till I had an abnormal pap and started doing research about what could have caused it.

As the other post indicates HPV can lay dormant for many years and it's almost impossible to track down how you got the virus. The important thing is you know that you have it and will stay up with your paps to make sure it doesn't cause changes. Not all strains of HPV do cause changes.

However, if you did have an abnormal pap, do take the advice of the other poster and follow up soon.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-27-2007, 03:40 AM   #4
(female)

NVR2L8 HB User

I just found out that I have High Risk HPV (the one that causes cervical cancer, not warts) and the doc wants me to have Paps every 6 months from now on. I had an abnormal pap back in 95 after my daughter was born so I think I may have had it back then as well. It was just that noone really knew about it back then. She told me to make sure my immune system is up and to stay healthy. I have to change me eating habits and take vitamins to make sure I stay healthy. I have to start working out a least 3 times a week etc.

You know, as horrible as it may sound to have an "STD" it really isn't a typical STD. I think that is what scares most of us. All the hype recently. I am going to get my daughter the gardisil shot here soon after I research it a bit more. Besides them cramming it down our throats daily, the Gov. of Texas is trying to make it mandatory that our girls get the vaccine before they enter the 6th grade now.

Good Luck,

t~

Last edited by NVR2L8; 02-27-2007 at 03:42 AM.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
(female)

TLopes27 HB User

Hey,
I had HPV a while back....it's not the normal "std" that we all hear about and are grossed out by. if untreated, can lead to cervical cancer. I had an abnormal pap done, then in which they took a biopsy (which is the unpleasant part) etc etc....they wanted me to come back to see if it went away on its own, in which it did. Humanpapilomavirus is the long name for it. If your doctor seems to think it is not that serious, dont get yourself worked up over it. The best thing to do is ask your GYN a lot of questions and keep yourself informed.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
(female)

fairydust7 HB User

Your doctor did not ask you to have a colposcopy scheduled? Just to come back in 6 months for another pap smear?

HPV has been around for a long time. It can cause cervical dyplasia, which left untreated can eventually progress to cervical cancer. It can also clear up on its own. I had a pap smear come back last Dec with high grade dysplasia with hpv, went in and got a colposcopy done, he took 4 biopsies and some scrapings. Well I had gone in originally because I was having other problems (which he still has not addressed, which is irritating me) and even before I had gotten my abnormal results I had already changed my diet and was working out. So then I got my results, went in for the biopsies and they came back normal. My doctor thinks my body fought off the hpv in that month between the pap and the biopsies. I have to back in 6 months to make sure nothing has changed. We'll see what happens. But even if it goes away, it can come back. HPV lays dormant in nerve endings, much like shingles. So even if it goes dormant you need to make sure you try and keep your immune system strong, its most likely to reoccur when your immune system is weakened.

Closed Thread