It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2006, 06:52 PM   #1
(female)

CBDH HB User
Abnormal PAP/HPV--Please Help!

I am so thankful that I found this website. I am hoping that you can help me. I am 44 years old, and got "that call" on Wednesday. My pap was on 9/6, and since I go to the gyn every year for a pap, I didn't give a second thought to the results until I saw the caller id on the phone, and then I just knew, or at least thought I did. The first thing that he told me was that I have HPV, and the second thing that he told me was that I have to have a colposcopy. Here's the kicker: I have been married for 21 years, but my husband and I have been together for 25 years. He is the only man that I have ever had any type of sexual relationship with. He was sexually active before he met me, and he did have an affair about 6 years ago. Unfortunately, my gyn says that there is no way to tell how long I have had HPV. (Also, I don't smoke, had my first child at 29, i.e., don't have any of the other risk factors for HPV.) My husband and I are already on the brink of divorce, and in the marital counseling sessions we have been going to for the past few weeks, he has told the counselor that he doesn't care for me, and doesn't have any affection for me. Now I have been diagnosed w/HPV and he is the only one that I could have gotten it from, and I will be having the colposcopy on 10/5; he will be out of town at a conference, but since I didn't want to wait (and since he probably wouldn't have gone to the doctor w/me anyhow), I scheduled the procedure and will have a good friend of mine who is a nurse come with me to the procedure and hold my hand. I can't even get to that point to think about the possible test results; I am barely hanging on as it is. I have 3 kids, a 15 year old son and 12 year old boy/girl twins, and the thought of possibly having to disrupt their lives w/bad news makes me crumble. I am not by nature a "gloom and doom" person, but I have been hit w/so many personal things lately that I feel like I am going to crack.

Has anyone else on this board been through a similar situation? I know that I am asking for you to share personal information w/a total stranger, but I just don't know where else to turn. Most of my close friends don't know about my husband's affair and the fragile state of our marriage, and I just don't want to tell them about the HPV/cervical cancer thing.

I do have a couple of questions that perhaps someone can answer:

1. Several years ago I had an endometrial biopsy and it was phenomenally unpleasant. My gyn says that colposcopy won't be "as bad," but that isn't giving me any comfort. My research says the biopsies will feel like a "pinch," but since that's what they told me last time, I am feeling anxious about the upcoming procedure.

2. Does anyone know whether the length of time that you have had HPV increases the risk for cancer? My doctor says that I could have had it for 20-25 years.

3. Does having HPV lead you to be at risk for the severity of cervical cancer?

Sorry this post was so long. Thanks in advance to all who are willing to provide me with some answers.

Claudia

The following user gives a hug of support to CBDH:
kldescoteaux (09-20-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
(female)

hazel eyes HB User
Re: Abnormal PAP/HPV--Please Help!

Hi CPDH
Im relatively new to the boards but i can share a little about what i know.

I understand where you are coming from, i was married for 17 years and have always had normal paps. So when i got my abnormal results in Aug. with the dx of HPV i was in shock. I knew what HPV was because of the commercials being aired here in NY and that it was considered an STI...i was not happy.

My now ex husband cheated on me as well about 10 years after we were married although he swears no actual "sex" took place....( yeah right) anyway, im still not sure about what they say inregard to having it for years and it not showing on paps, seems VERY strange to me but it seems to be what all the drs are saying so i guess i have to trust that. Not that it matters once you have to go through this.

As far as the colposcopy and the biopsy, my dr took four, and i only slightly felt one, the most uncomfortable part for me was the speculm (sp?) being in place for so long..that and my lower back started to hurt from the angle i was at.

My results came back as CIN III severe dysplasia. I never missed a pap and went every year because i was on the pill so in less than one year i went from normal paps to severe dysplasia.

Before and after, so far anyway, my dr has given me the same speech, it takes YEARS for this to progress. Yet each proceedure they test for cancer, kinda confuses me.

I had my leep on Sept. 15 and am still waiting for the results. I hope once again he tells me its not cancer, but from reading these posts and the research i have done i know that the many YEARS thing doesnt always ring true for everyone.

Hope this helps a little
~Lisa

Old 09-24-2006, 10:35 PM   #3
(female)

danilee HB User

I just want to tell you that I am sorry for what you are going through. My mom is going through similar problems with her soon to be ex.
((HUGS))
I wish you the best.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:48 AM   #4

Sallyk HB User

Hi,
Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in. First, you may want to read up on HPV. It IS possible to get without having intercourse. Many people get HPV within the first couple years of being sexually active and don't even know it. My point is that HPV does not necessarily mean your husband cheated on you recently, or ever! You could have had it yourself for years even.
Secondly, cervical cancer is very slow in progressing. Get your PAP test regularly is the best advice I can offer!

Old 09-28-2006, 09:24 AM   #5
(female)

tealdreams HB User

CBDH,

Try not to think about cancer at this point. it is most likely that if they find you have HPV and abnormal cells that you will be diagnosed with dysplasia, not cancer. Dysplasia is precancerous and not invasive and mild forms can regress on their own. moderate or severe dysplasia can usually be taken care of with a simple procedure.

keep us posted with your progress

Old 08-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #6
(female)

wla79 HB User

Hi, I have HPV & so does my husband. I also have dysplasia. Does anyone know if I can get a recurrence of dysplasia from having sex with my husband after the doctor removes the adnormal cells? Or do we just carry the virus without reinfecting ourselves again and again?

thanks you.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:51 AM   #7
(male)

piperpilot HB User

Lisa,

It is a common misconception that dysplasia always begins as mild, then progresses to moderate then severe--the fact is, dysplasia can begin as moderate or severe without ever having been "mild". These three levels or degrees of "severity" simply describe the depth of which the effected cells are found in the cervical tissue: mild-cells found in 1/3 depth, moderate in 2/3 depth and severe the entire depth of the skin (epithelium) but not yet into the stroma (the tissue below the skin). While it may statistically take 10-15 years for cancer to develop, it doesn't always take that long.

Closed Thread