It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
(male)

colts_2005 HB User
Question on HPV?

HI im a male and about 6 weeks ago i had sex with a girl and she had a pap smear test monday and they said she has hpv..So what do i have to do or what will happen to me..any information would really be appreciate thanks

Old 09-27-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User
Re: Question on HPV?

as far as i understand.. men can only carry the virus, they won't actually get warts or anything (woman may not either.) But go get tested.. I'm not a doctor.. but from hear-say... men are carriers of the virus and my never even know they have it because no symptoms occur.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
(female)

healthyktty1 HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by colts_2005
HI im a male and about 6 weeks ago i had sex with a girl and she had a pap smear test monday and they said she has hpv..So what do i have to do or what will happen to me..any information would really be appreciate thanks
whether or not you will become symptomatic depends on the strain of the virus your sexual partner has, and whether you actually caught it when you had sex.
types 6 and 11 typically cause warts to grow, so if she has either of those, you may get warts at some point down the line. if your body subverts the virus before you become symptomatic, you may not.

other types of the virus, such as 16 and 18, are responsible for a large portion of cervical cancer occurrances. since you do not have a cervix, you won't have to worry about this, but there is a small occurrance of penile and anal cancer in men infected with certain types of hpv. usually the way to tell is if you develop lesions on your penis, so just do a visual self examination from time to time to remain familiar with the appearance of the skin of your penis and the surrounding area.

please don't get all freaked out, like i said the incidence is VERY SMALL, almost infinitessimal, and when it does occur, if at all, it is after years of the virus being active. most people's immune systems subvert the virus completely within 2 years or less of infection, and recurrance is not common, especially in men. also, like the previous poster said, most men remain asymptomatic, so you should be fine. if you have any concerns, talk with your doctor.

also, there is a book out there, mostly for women, but it does have a chapter on hpv and men. it is called "what your doctor may not tell you about hpv and abnormal pap smears". i would recommend reading that chapter if you are interested.

the main thing i would be concerned about at this point is if your partner has a high risk strain. if this is so (assuming you caught it, because exposure is not a 100% guarantee you caught it, though it is likely) then telling future partners may be an issue for you, as an asymptomatic carrier can still spread the virus.

the use of condoms greatly helps in preventing the spread of hpv, since it keeps the head and shaft of the penis covered and the typically preferred spot of infection in women is the cervix. however, a condom will not completely prevent the spread, as transmittal occurs with skin to skin contact, not through the exchange of bodily fluids, as with hiv. so if a partner has a wart on their thigh, and it touches the skin of another person, they are at risk of catching it. the risk with this type of transmission is less than if the effected area comes in contact with a mucous membrane, (such as the entrance to the urethra in males and the vagina and cervix in females) because mucous membranes are more vulnerable to invaders of all types than the rest of your skin would be.
[deleted]

hope this helps, and best wishes.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 09-27-2006 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Do not give instructions on how to find web sites. People can do their own searches.

Closed Thread