It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2006, 05:49 AM   #1
(female)

~*Michelle*~ HB User
Should i prepare for the worst? Info please

I had a daughter a year ago. i had all these pap exams during pregnancy and everything was normal.

I went to a clinic to get birth control and they wanted to do a pap and they did. I just got a certified letter in the mail saying it was abnormal "Atypical cell changes with no HPV detected"

Now knowing i have no HPV what is causing my cells to be changing? Im assuming they tested me for other things too and all were negative but what could it be? Of course im thinking the worst.

Im gonna follow up with my regular gyno for a second opinion. But whats gonna happen if it is indeed abnormal?

I have had very heavy period with really bad cramping thats why i wanted birth control. i got the depo shot a month ago and havent had my period at all. i should of had it 2 weeks ago. i did spot a couple weeks ago for about a day or 2 and thats it.

Any info would be appreciated thanks alot

Old 09-27-2006, 06:13 AM   #2
(female)

m1e1b1s1 HB User
Re: Should i prepare for the worst? Info please

They should do a follow up pap, and go from there. See what the results are...I had an abnormal pap at 19, it was dysplasia (cell changes) went in for a simple procedure (cryo freezing) and was done with it....it's been gone and not come back for 14 years. Yes, it was scary, but I trusted by doc and the tests he did and I'm fine and have 2 children!!!

Don't stress yet!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2006, 09:29 AM   #3
(female)

tealdreams HB User

talk to your doctor to see if he has any suggestions as to why your cells could be changing with no HPV present. if he did other tests he may have more insight into this.

As for you not getting your period, that is what happens when you get the depo shot. as long as you are getting the shot, you will not get your period. with regular pills you take one week off a month from the pills and get your period at that time. with depo, once the medicine is in you, it doesnt go away for, i believe, 3 months. at that time you will get another shot.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:58 AM   #4
(female)

~*Michelle*~ HB User

Ok im confused..mad and i dont know what else.

I just spoke with the clinic she said no HIGH risk HPV was found but the cell changes i had detected a low risk of hpv.

As i stated i just had my daughter a year ago and my paps and other tests all came back negative.

Please tell me if i should be asking my fiance some questions. Could this be something he gave to me in the past year??? if he was messing around?

Im trying to stay calm about this and im trying to figure out a calm and cool way to ask him.

What should i do?

Old 09-27-2006, 12:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

Oh sweetie, welcome to the wonderful world of abnormal pap tests and the wondering whether or not hubby has cheated. I will stand up straight and tall and tell you "likely not". This virus can be harbored for years before it raises it's ugly head. I struggled with the same thoughts when I first found out what caused my abnormal pap - I had been married to my hubby for 4 years, together 5, and the gyn even asked if either of us had "strayed".

HPV can lay dormant in the body for years, then it can appear for either no reason, or the immune system lets it become active. A large majority of the sexually active population has some type of the hpv virus (and there are so many types!) and mostly have no issues with it.

Take a breath, hon. I don't think you really have anything to worry about.

BTW, I read your first post, there are so many things that can cause an atypical reading. Any kind of irritation, an unclear sample, intercourse less than 24 to 48 hours before the pap, douching...so many things.

Karen

Old 09-27-2006, 12:21 PM   #6
(female)

~*Michelle*~ HB User

Hi Karen

Thanks for replying. The only thing i cant figure out is this..Ive never had trouble down there and ive had normal pap tests. Right before my daughter was born i had one. for the past 2 to 3 months i had something down there that started..some type of irritation i thought it was from condoms (which condoms never bothered me like that before) When i was tested with my daughter wouldnt that of showed? i was specifically tested for that because i hear it can pass to the baby.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

You should NOT assume your fiance is cheating on you. You could have gotten HPV from someone years ago. Some people even carry it for a DECADE before they develop dysplasia.

If you do indeed have dysplasia they'll treat it with one of several treatment options. They're are easy and effective. You're going to be fine!!

Old 09-27-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

Hi Michelle, I know it is unnerving, believe me I went from probably 14 years of normal paps to severe dysplasia which ended up turning out to be a surprise microinvasive cancer diagnosis. I know the questions that are running through your mind, really I do. I could tell you horror stories that ran through my mind. But the chances are really really slim that he has stepped out on you.

Having a baby really throws everything out of whack, hormones, everything. It takes up to a year to go back to "normal" after you've had a baby. So hopefully, this is what is going on. A good reminder though to keep up with the smears, which I know you'll do.

Hope this helps a bit.

Karen

Closed Thread