It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 12:27 AM   #1
(female)

angiepangie HB User
Hpv,leep, Now What?

i was diagnosed with hpv 3 years ago, i had biopsys,cryotherapy(freezing treatment), and that did nothing. i just recently had the LEEP procedure done and i was only wondering...this does not remove hpv from my body only the cells from my cervix right? i mean will i always have hpv?also now that i have had the LEEP done do i have to use condoms with my boyfriend, can he just keep giving it back to me or since i have it, it doesnt matter?i mean i definantly do not want to have to go thru any of these treatments again.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sharon7270 HB User
Re: Hpv,leep, Now What?

I asked the same question of my doctor...the condom one. As I also had endometrial ablation and a tubal ligation when I had my cone done, it would really suck to have to continue using condoms with my husband. Her response was that the condom's obviously did not do the trick the first time around!! Good point! HPV is spread through skin on skin contact and as the condom does not cover everything, it is not 100% effective in preventing the transmission. My HPV test came back negative, by the way, but I am told that doesn't mean I never had it. I actually have had four or five HPV tests through the years and they were all negative, but I still had the carcinoma in situ...go figure. This whole ongoing ordeal has been mass confusion and conflicting info...I don't know what to think anymore!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
(female)

angelique5 HB User

When they do any procedure like LEEP... it isn't to remove HPV. What has happend is, the HPV causes cells to change, what they call "dysplasia". This dysplasia, or abnormal cells, can become cancer. So, what they are removing are the precancerous cells.

From my understanding, some people's immune systems can fight off the HPV...but many cannot, and it remains in the system, dormant or active. I think you'd have to be checked repeatedly for HPV to determine if you are still a carrier.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

According to my gyno, some people will have HPV for decades and others can fight it off within a few years. You don't have to use a condom IF you're with the SAME partner though, because you've already been exposed to the strains he carries which means you either have them or have developed immunity to them.

If you SWITCH partners, you should protect yourself again because you could contract NEW strains. Condoms don't seem to protect well against HPV though. I got it having never had unprotected sex a single time.

Old 10-11-2006, 03:11 PM   #5
(female)

angiepangie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber
According to my gyno, some people will have HPV for decades and others can fight it off within a few years. You don't have to use a condom IF you're with the SAME partner though, because you've already been exposed to the strains he carries which means you either have them or have developed immunity to them.

If you SWITCH partners, you should protect yourself again because you could contract NEW strains. Condoms don't seem to protect well against HPV though. I got it having never had unprotected sex a single time.
i have been with the same guy for 5 years now and we are both faithfull . we just mnever used condoms before and it would kind of suck to have to start using them now. but i didnt want him to give this back to me over and over again lol

Old 10-14-2006, 05:05 AM   #6
(female)

motheroftwof HB User

I was a faithful condom user until I got married and I still got HPV 6 years ago. My gyno told me that because they don't "cover" everything that you can still contract it. He also said that it is so common now that if you have had 3 or more sexual partners your chances of having HPV go up considerably.

Some peoples bodies can fight it off. I thought I did because I had my first CIN I 6 years ago and it cleared on it's own. However it came up again a year ago as CIN III and I just had a LEEP and cone biopsy done to remove it and to be sure it didn't spread. He said I am essentially "cured" but there is a very good chance it can come back again, especially since this is the second time.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:10 AM   #7
(female)

DixieDisc HB User
Lightbulb Re: Hpv,leep, Now What?

It really is all so confusing, but in a good way if you think of it from the perspective that it is a result of the new and ultimately helpful information that doctors can now pass on. I have had 3 LEEPS since 1997 and had another colposcopy showing dysplasia AGAIN yesterday. That's when my doctor told me that a possible reason that the cells keep stubbornly returning is that I may be exposing myself to different strains of HPV, as others of you have said. Who knew?! I just figured that if you have it, you have it, and the irregular cells come and go. Boy, does that shed some new light!

As a single, childless 34 year old, my biggest fear is of course hysterectomy, but my doctor is not that concerned and says we are nowhere near that point (I have never been diagnosed with carcinoma in situ, just dysplasia). I am healthy, very active nad sporty, and at a healthy weight. I have also now quit smoking to help my body fight this (nicotine and other smoking by-products have been found in irregular/cancerous cervical cells in studies) and will begin taking vitamins, especially folic acid as my doctor recommends.

I think we all need to be thankful for all the research and new findings to help us get and stay healthier as women!

DixieDisc

Closed Thread