It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2006, 06:58 AM   #1
(female)

smackliet HB User
HPV vaccine

Has any one had this vaccine or know anything about it. My Dr has recommended it for my 2 daughters. I know that the human papiloma virus can end up causeing cancer and i know alot of women who have had problems due to this virus. I hear all the pros for giving it and it seems like a good idea but they just keep adding more vaccines and i worry about the long term effects of all these vaccines. Are there any side effects to this one that any have heard about?

Old 01-23-2007, 12:42 AM   #2
(female)

canadadiva HB User
Re: HPV vaccine

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackliet View Post
Has any one had this vaccine or know anything about it. My Dr has recommended it for my 2 daughters. I know that the human papiloma virus can end up causeing cancer and i know alot of women who have had problems due to this virus. I hear all the pros for giving it and it seems like a good idea but they just keep adding more vaccines and i worry about the long term effects of all these vaccines. Are there any side effects to this one that any have heard about?
I don't know of any side effects, but I sure wish that this vaccine was available years ago, it would have saved me alot of emotional grief. I had precancerous cervical cells and ended up having a leep procedure. Thank God I didn't have cancer. I hope you get your daughters the vaccine. HPV is spread so easily, and condoms do not prevent the transmission.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2007, 10:38 AM   #3
(male)

NCGuy HB User

The vaccine currently out is Gardasil and its protection against the most common virus' that cause cervical cancer and genital warts is very high. They give it in three shots, Initial vaccination, the second two months later and the third four months later. The usual side effect is soreness at the injection site. It is given in the upper arm as most shots are. I would have my daughers vaccinated for the protection it provides against a cancer that may cause serious problems later in life.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

newfie11 HB User

My kids are grown but I would not have given this to my daughters. I want to wait and see. This is a new vaccine. I would not be willing to jump into this until more is known about this vaccine.
Newfie11

Old 02-20-2007, 09:46 PM   #5
(female)

txmomof3 HB User

I went and got the vaccine for my 15 year old two weeks ago. I investigated it and was very sure that I wanted her to have it. I have had multiple procedures related to HPV/precancerous/ cancerous cells. I am probably going to have to have a hysterectomy at some point in the next 5 years because of HPV.
That being said, I want to consider the two main issues that I have heard about this vaccine:
1) It is very new. I agree with this and would probably not give it to my daughter if she were 9-13. However, at 15, my daughter is physically done growing and at a primetime to give this vaccine too her. In my mind, the benefits far outweighed the potential risks.

2) It is encouraging sex. I think that this is a family decision on how to present this vaccine. My daughter knows why she got it...but she also knows that it in no way is giving her a "pass". Communication is key in this area...and we have lots of it.

That all being said...we live in the US. As pro-vax as I am, I do not believe that a vaccine such as HPV should be mandated (as they are trying to do here in Texas). I think it is a great vaccine, but it is the families decision.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

I'm 25, and just got the first part of the vaccine last week. I was nervous at first because it is so new, and I was actually the first person at my doctor's office that they ever scheduled for it. But the only side effect I had was soreness at the injection site that only lasted a few hours.

As for the argument that having younger girls vaccinated somehow encourages them to have sex... I think that's lame. First of all, it's all how you present it to them, as another poster said. I see it as simply being vaccinated against a certain kind of cancer. You don't have to tell young teenagers that they're being vaccinated against a sexually transmitted disease that could cause cancer... that's just my opinion, though. Personally, I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't been sexually active yet. It's a medical breakthrough to be able to actually prevent most kinds of cervical cancer.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:01 AM   #7
(female)

sat_dht HB User

I have a question about the vaccine. It would do no good to get it AFTER you've been diagnosed right? I am only 18, newly married, and was just told I have HPV and dysplasia. I get results back from my cancer biopsy next week. I have been told that this could not only cause cancer but also infetility. I'M ONLY 18!! This can't be happening to me! Does anyone know of ANY way that the effects of HPV can be stopped?

Old 02-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

sat_dht, as far as I know, the vaccine only prevents HPV; it doesn't cure it. Which is why they want women and girls to get the vaccine before they have had any chance of being exposed to the virus.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
(female)

smackliet HB User

Sat_Dht, I would ask your dr about that because there are several of the viruses that are able to cause cancer and I believe 3 of them are in the vaccine. So it could protect you from the others.
As far as the illness you are already dealing with, it is highly treatable. Try not to worry to much use all the emotional energy to get well.

Take care

Old 03-01-2007, 04:09 PM   #10
(female)

sat_dht HB User

thanks...that answered most of my questions without even asking them! i was actually told by my doctor to get the first shot today...so i did...like you said, it does prevent the cancer from forming in 4 of the types of high risk HPV...problem is, i tested positive for 13 types of high risk and 5 of low... it may not do much but i'm hoping to lower my chances since they caught the HPV early...

Old 03-05-2007, 12:27 PM   #11
(female)

AppleCore HB User

Is it true that if you've had sexual intercourse that this vaccine is not for you? Because that is the mind frame my mother has. She wants me to get it but says there is no point for her or my older sister to get the vaccine for that reason.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:14 AM   #12
(male)

NCGuy HB User

Of course, its best to get vaccinated BEFORE you have sexual intercourse - thats why the target group is girls between 11-12 - however the vaccine protects against four major types of HPV. These include two types that cause about 70% percent of cervical cancer and two types that cause about 90% of genital warts, so the HPV vaccine can prevent most genital warts and most cases of cervical cancer. If you've already had sexual intercourse, you may have already contracted one or more types of HPV and your physician can test to determine which ones you have, BUT the vaccine can protect you from the other types of HPV targeted by the vaccine and you can be treated for the one(s) you may have already. SO, even IF you've had sexual intercouse, getting the HPV vaccination is still a good idea. The most common side effect is soreness at the injection site, such as you would get with a tetanus shot.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:47 PM   #13
(male)

beach nut HB User

its a no brainer for me....i've had cervical problems r/t this virus....sure wish i had the opportunity to be vaccinated maybe i wouldn't have to have biopsies, pap's every 4 months and the constant worry of developing cervical cancer. My 14 year old daughter got the first of the series last week and i am sooo grateful i can do this for her though she wasn't so thrilled. I told her some day she will thank me.

Old 05-05-2007, 07:56 PM   #14
(female)

smackliet HB User

The columbian newspaper did an article that was also featured on msn news about the vaccine. They interviewed me and my daughters I got the vaccine for my older girl but i am waiting for the younger one to get a bit older. The article is called Heart to Heart over hpv vaccine. There is a lot of good info online.
I have had cervical cancer also, so i definitely think it is a good idea. I just hope there are no side effects that will show up down the road.

Take care

Old 06-10-2007, 11:25 AM   #15
(female)

Star On High HB User

I've had the first two shots. My arm ached (like the old tetnis shots) for a couple days. No side affects from the second.

I think that the drug being so new is a reasonable concern.

Unless you already have HPV, then being protected from it is a good idea.

As to the encouragement to have sex:

Believe it or not, I don't intend on running out to to have sex under the bleachers as soon as I get my last shot in August.

Women get raped.

Husbands cheat.

If the girl isn't aware that she can't still get AIDS, etc., from sex, then the risk of HpV wasn't gonna stop her anyway.

Besides, she's going to have sex someday.

Closed Thread