It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
(female)

jc60656 HB User
HPV and colposcopy

Hi everyone-
First of all, I just wanted to say how impressed I am with the posts I have read in this discussion group. You are all so informative and supportive and I feel that is kind of what I need right now because I am scared, confused and extremely anxious.
A little background: I am a 26 y.o. female who recently went in for my annual gyno exam. I received a call yesterday from the nurse practitioner who said that my results came back ASCUS, so they ran a test for HPV which I tested positive for. She said I needed to make an appointment for a colposcopy and biopsy and then the conversation became blurred for me because I was still stuck on the fact that I had tested positive for HPV.
She wanted me to make the appointment yesterday while on the phone with her, but I couldn't think straight and told her I would call her monday to set up an appointment because I just couldn't believe this was happening.

Now for my questions:
From the initial HPV test would the doctor know whether it was high risk or low risk? Is that something I could call and ask tomorrow? Or is it something they need to do further testing on to know?

I have read that your body's immune system can fight this virus; so has anyone had any experience taking immune boosting vitamins such as A, C, E, Selenium and Beta Carotene as well as Echinachea to help their body fight this off faster?

From what I understand, the colposcopy allows the dr to get a better look at my cervix to see what is going on, but what exactly are they going to test the biopsy for; cancer?

The nurse didn't mention anything about taking ibuprofen before the procedure, but I have read on here that many of you recommend it- do you recommend taking it before or after the procedure?

The nurse mentioned something about follow up visits, and then mentioned LEEP procedure, but i don't know what she was talking about. Is this procedure used if they in fact find cancerous cells?

I apologize that I cant tell you much about the conversation I had with the nurse yesterday, but I was in such a daze and in such disbelief that I just kept saying "okay" , "okay", "okay."

I really appreciate any advice any of you can give me, because I feel like I can only read so much about this on the internet before getting confused, and I don't necessarily feel comfortable telling anyone about this right now, as I am SO embarassed about the positive result for the HPV test. I just kind of feel like I have nowhere to turn right now and am grateful for anything you can offer me.

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
(female)

KSgirl79 HB User
Re: HPV and colposcopy

I understand how you feel. A year and a half ago I went through the same thing. I had my colposcopy and was terrified. The nurse gave me ibuprofen after the procedure. I felt like I had menstrual cramps, and it stung to sit down for a few hours. With the procedure they put a vinegar solution on your cervix to see abnormal cells. They will usually biopsy abnormal cells to see if they are cancerous. I had cells taken from 2 areas of my cervix and they came back as mild dysplasia which I undestood to be okay/pre-cancerous. The doctor explained it to me as the transitional cells were irregular which could be nothing or it could be leading to cancer. My follow up pap (6 months later) came back normal and so did the pap I had about 5 months ago. As far as the LEEP, that is done if some cancerous cells are found...I believe. They take a conical section of cells out of the cervix to remove abnormalities.

The doctor told me my body would fight HPV in a similar way it fights the flu. My immune system would have to suppress it. I did some reading and found out that green vegetables may help as well as exercise. I was going to try anything I could. I did increase my exercise and my vegetable intake. I did not try vitamin supplements so I am not sure if they will work.

I too was so confused about everything. I found out about a year before the big HPV push on tv. My doctor didn't even know that much about it. I had to tell her I found a lot of my info on the CDC's website and she said she would have to check it out. I hope I was able to answer some of your questions.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
(female)

jc60656 HB User

thank you so much for the information. I feel like I can get so confused reading all this information online, so it is SO nice to hear someone elses story because you have been through it already.

So are you able to say that your body has successfully fought off the virus now that you are having regular pap smears as of now?

Again thank you so much- it's nice to know I am not alone, because thats really how I kind of feel right now.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:52 PM   #4
(female)

canadadiva HB User

Hi there,
Please try and relax, there are many different types of HPV, and my doc told me that over %80 of the population has it, so if you've had sex, chances are, you have it. Unfortunately, it isn't harmful for men (although it may be linked with penile cancer) so they unknowingly pass it on. A condom doesn't help much, as the virus can be spread on the skin. I don't think the doc will know the type of HPV from the pap, but when you have your colposcopy you can ask the doc to type the strain. The colposcopy is just a touch worse than a pap, the doc is taking a biopsy. But should be over quickly. From the biopsy, the doc can tell you how bad the dysplasia (abnormal cell growth) is. If its mild, the doc may want you to come for more frequent paps to monitor the cells which can convert back to normal. If the dysplasia is moderate to severe, you may have a LEEP done. This is where precancerous or cancerous cells are removed using electrical current. Its not comfortable but I wouldn't say its really painful.

Its really important to get rid of these precancerous cells, you don't want to end up with cervical cancer. Good luck, and its quite common to have an abnormal pap smear. I hope you feel better and the colposcopy goes ok.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:49 AM   #5
(female)

SippyCup HB User

Welcome to my world! I couldn't believe I tested positive for high-risk HPV (my gyn was able to tell me the strain) but like was said in a previous post--nearly everyone has it. Also, it can lay dormant in your body for years before becoming evident.

I did go the vitemin route, and I now take C, A, E, B-complex, a multivitemin and echenaccia daily. I also am sure to eat as many dark green veggies (mostly spinach salads and steamed broccoli) as I can each day.

Anyway, I had a LEEP and the gyn told me my lesions (carcinoma in situ/severe dysplasia) were "extensive". The margins were positive so I opted for a cold knife cone. That procedure was done about two months after I started my new vitemin/diet routine. Guess what? Barely any abnormal cells were found in the biopsy. Now, that could mean that the LEEP got it all, but it could also mean that my diet did help reverse some of the damage. I haven't been retested for HPV, so I don't know if it's still there, but I feel better than ever, and I *feel* like the diet/vitemins have made a difference. For what it's worth! It can't really hurt, right?

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #6
(female)

jc60656 HB User

thank you EVERYONE for kind of putting mind at ease- like i said before- this totally helps to not feel so alone.

Sippy- I was thinking the same thing that vitamins couldnt hurt - so I am now taking a multi vitamin as well as a special vitamin specifically for the immune system and am looking into folic acid and echinachea.

Jerevede- I made my appointment for my colposcopy for February 16th (it was the earliest I could get in!) and will certainly be thinking of you on the 26th!! I really do hope things go well for you and that it doesn't hurt too much. I am (how weird!) looking forward to hearing how it goes (you know what I mean.)

Again, I can't thank all of you enough for the support and comments and suggestions. You have no idea how much this is helping me.

Thanks

Old 02-02-2007, 12:47 AM   #7
(female)

Mariley HB User

I've had HPV for about 14 years now and my tests come back different all the time! neg. neg, pos, neg, neg, pos, pos, pos, neg, neg, pos etc. Although lately they have been coming back negative! (This is a good thing!)

Old 02-02-2007, 08:06 AM   #8
(female)

msremi HB User

After 24 years of normal paps and 22 years in a monogamous relationship, I tested ASCUS and pos for a high-risk hpv. You can imagine my shock! There are many women posting on this board who are in the same boat and have great insight for those of us just diagnosed. Try not to get too upset and make use of all the info and support here.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #9
(female)

keller234 HB User

I just wanted to add my two cents here, I, like many have had normal paps for years, and all of a sudden wham.. I go for my colpo tuesday, i am very nervous. I have known my doc for years, and I think he will think i am fooling around. I know this irrational, but I feel ashamed.
I have read some articles on indole 3 carbinole (google: indole 3 carbinol for hpv). It seems this really helps turn dysplasias back to normal. Its like getting lots of cabbage and brussel sprouts. It also is supposed tohelp prevent breast cancer. I ordered some this week and am waiting for it to arrive.
Good luck to all
K

Last edited by keller234; 02-11-2007 at 07:00 PM.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:38 AM   #10
(female)

keller234 HB User

JC, how did your colposcope come out? I just had mine today, it really wasn't bad. The doctor told me he didn't see anything, but did biopsies anyway and endocervical brushing. Have to go back in 3 monts for a repeat pap unless there is a problem. He made me feel really confident and relaxed. I have started taking a new supplement in addition to vit c b6 b12 and folate. It's called indole 3 carbinole and it is supposed to help with the dysplasia. We'll see
Good luck
K

Old 02-13-2007, 05:10 PM   #11
(female)

lam2703 HB User

Where do you get indole 3 carbinole? Is that you can be over the counter? I've been wanting to get my hands on this!

Thanks!

Old 02-17-2007, 07:14 AM   #12
(female)

keller234 HB User
Wink Re: HPV and colposcopy

You can get Indole 3 carbinole at a health food store. I got it at Vitamin Shoppe. I also boosted my intake of Vit C B6 B12 and folate. I really think I had such good results since I started intake of these vitamins as soon as I found out I had ascus. Of course ascus is very mild and sometimes regresses on its own.
The article I read suggests 200mg of indole 3 carbinol, with no toxic side effects( it's like eating a head of cabbage) In one study I read it caused regression of CIN II and III in 50% of all cases.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:46 AM   #13
(female)

apesb HB User

I hope I can help... in 1998 I learned I had HPV. The nurses and doctors gave me the impression it was no big deal at all... which is partly true. But they made such a small deal of it, (They never even told me it was an STD), that when I had no health insurance, I didn't care. Well, when I had my next PAP in 2000, I had an abnormal PAP, a colposcopy, and more abnormal cells. NO ONE EVER EXPLAINED I COULD HAVE CANCER. I had severe dysplasia. A "LEEP" followed. I had three large spots, all removed. As far as I know, I am 27 and free and clear of any Cancer or HPV. So, my point is, as bad as it may seem, there are medical procedures that will preserve your life and health. Some may be uncomfortabe, but none unbareable.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:58 AM   #14
(female)

fairydust7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by apesb View Post
I hope I can help... in 1998 I learned I had HPV. The nurses and doctors gave me the impression it was no big deal at all... which is partly true. But they made such a small deal of it, (They never even told me it was an STD), that when I had no health insurance, I didn't care. Well, when I had my next PAP in 2000, I had an abnormal PAP, a colposcopy, and more abnormal cells. NO ONE EVER EXPLAINED I COULD HAVE CANCER. I had severe dysplasia. A "LEEP" followed. I had three large spots, all removed. As far as I know, I am 27 and free and clear of any Cancer or HPV. So, my point is, as bad as it may seem, there are medical procedures that will preserve your life and health. Some may be uncomfortabe, but none unbareable.
Same thing happened with me. 5 years ago I had an abnormal pap followed by 2 colposcopy's. Apparently I had hpv and no one ever told me though. I have a rare genetic skin dysplasia, so when the colpo's kept coming back with mild dysplasia I asked the dr's if it could just be my dysplasia. It is extremely rare (there's 9 of us the US, UK and CAN with my type most die before they are 5yrs old) so not much is known about my skin and stuff. The dr was like well I don't know, it probably isn't. So I naively (and stupidly) didn't ask anymore questions assumed it was nothing to worry about because they had such a "its no big deal don't worry about it" attitude. I didn't go back again until this last Dec after I began hearing about hpv everywhere and learned that dyplasias of the cervix can be caused by hpv. I definitely had an "oh crap" moment then. Now I know and understand that yes it can be a big deal if left untreated and it doesn't clear on its own , and it can lead to cervical cancer eventually. But as long as we stay on top of our yearly exams and follow doctor orders and ask as many questions as we need to understand our medical problem we'll be alright.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:13 AM   #15
(female)

furtiva HB User

I had never even heard of HPV and to think I considered myself educated on women issues. At this point my main concern is regressing the mild/moderate dysplasia back to normal and keeping my immune system strong and healthy.

I can relate with you all, and I felt ashamed, and disgusted, and worried, and hopeless, that I had an STD !!! that can easly put my health at risk. I have been through a rollacoaster of emotions since this january when my doctor called (and she was so sweet and understanding, but as the first poster said I could not process any info at that moment, only after I was on the web scaring the hell out of myself)

I was told that a LEEP is the treatment for now, but I am going au-naturale with vitamine boosting immunity and I3C. I;ll take this regimen anytime over the knife;electric or anything that will remove precious parts from my body unless neccessary. Needless to say, I am very scared of the many consequences (that would be true for any sort of treatment I'd have opt for).

but there is hope, and it's improtant to remember that this is managable!

Closed Thread