It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 01:18 PM   #1
(female)

llk2901 HB User
Re: gardasil-- HPV vaccine

Since I was caught off guard taking my 11 year old daughter in for a school physical by the doctor insisting she get the vaccine, I've gone quite a bit of research on this vaccine and WILL NOT allow my daughter to get it anytime soon. Nor will my son since there is discussion that all little boys and young men should be vaccinated as well as carriers of the virus.
It frightens me that there is such a push to get these little girls vaccinated when you can't find any documentation in any literature of the little girls being part of the study. And if there were how many. You can not assume that a vaccine, or any drug for that matter, given to a few thousand people in clinical trials will be safe when given to the mass population.
AND there is discussion that the Gardasil vaccine will be placed on the routine vaccine scedule which would make it required, along with the vaccines for highly contagious diseases. HPV is a sexually transmitted disease and is not a puplic health threat as the others. And IF that happens, Merck can not be held liable for any devestating or deadly consequences.
When cervical cancer rates are discussed by the drug companies, they generally are giving world wide statistics. According to the government's own data less than one percent, 0.73%, of all American women will even get cervical cancer. Gardasil is advertised to prevent 4 of the over 100 strains of HPV. What they don't tell you is that 2 out of the 4 are strains that may lead to genital warts so it really only prevents 2 strains that may lead to cervical cancer.
Just having HPV does not mean you will get cancer. Most women have had one or more strains of HPV in their lifetimes and with a healthy immune system, are able to clear the virus.
As I told all my friends when I was so fired up about this a few months ago, you don't have to agree with me, but I hope you stop and think before blindly accepting the propaganda of the drug companies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2006, 10:44 PM   #2
(female)

serenity26 HB User

As a person who has had severe dysplasia (i.e. the step before cancer) due to this virus, I would recommend it to all. I was lucky enough to have caught it just in time.

To the skeptical: I agree with the caution we should take when looking at new vaccinations/meds/etc. BUT....Are you using that same caution with things like the Pill?

I implore you to think of the millions of women without healthcare who don't have access to regular PAPs. Think of the other countries where the care women receive here is not commonplace. As far as the data of .73%...that low number is probably due to our healthcare given to many women...how many cases were like mine--stopped just before I became a statistic? Also, that it only affects 2-4 strains (varies by post, I'm not aware of the actual) that cause cancer: one strain (I think the # is 16) is responsible for 50+% of all cervical cancers. I'd say that preventing 50% of cervical cancer is a good enough reason. I know that if we could find a vaccine that would eliminate 50% of breast cancer, we'd all be after that. Cervical cancer is still the 3rd leading cause of death by cancers in women. Sadly it is the most preventable.

Last edited by serenity26; 12-29-2006 at 10:50 PM.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
(female)

canadadiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenity26 View Post
As a person who has had severe dysplasia (i.e. the step before cancer) due to this virus, I would recommend it to all. I was lucky enough to have caught it just in time.

To the skeptical: I agree with the caution we should take when looking at new vaccinations/meds/etc. BUT....Are you using that same caution with things like the Pill?

I implore you to think of the millions of women without healthcare who don't have access to regular PAPs. Think of the other countries where the care women receive here is not commonplace. As far as the data of .73%...that low number is probably due to our healthcare given to many women...how many cases were like mine--stopped just before I became a statistic? Also, that it only affects 2-4 strains (varies by post, I'm not aware of the actual) that cause cancer: one strain (I think the # is 16) is responsible for 50+% of all cervical cancers. I'd say that preventing 50% of cervical cancer is a good enough reason. I know that if we could find a vaccine that would eliminate 50% of breast cancer, we'd all be after that. Cervical cancer is still the 3rd leading cause of death by cancers in women. Sadly it is the most preventable.
I agree with you. Cervical cancer is still prevalent and the treatment ie: chemotherapy, brachytherapy, external radiation therapy can be brutal. Its awful that so many women die of a preventable disease. Abstinence, other than getting the vaccine, is the only other way to prevent this cancer, and lets be realistic in this day and age, abstinence is not happening.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
(female)

Snix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadadiva View Post
I agree with you. Cervical cancer is still prevalent and the treatment ie: chemotherapy, brachytherapy, external radiation therapy can be brutal. Its awful that so many women die of a preventable disease. Abstinence, other than getting the vaccine, is the only other way to prevent this cancer, and lets be realistic in this day and age, abstinence is not happening.
i agree with the OP. I was told to get the vaccine, but wont. I just dont agree with it.

Why is abstinence the ONLY way to prevent it???

Am i magically going to get HPV from my bf who is free of diseases??? I just dont think its necessary for me. I dont disagree with the vaccine completely...i have nothing against people who decide to get it, i just dont think it should be a required thing.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
(female)

canadadiva HB User

[QUOTE=Snix;2761070]i agree with the OP. I was told to get the vaccine, but wont. I just dont agree with it.

Why is abstinence the ONLY way to prevent it???

Am i magically going to get HPV from my bf who is free of diseases??? I just dont think its necessary for me. I dont disagree with the vaccine completely...i have nothing against people who decide to get it, i just dont think it should be a required thing.

Studies show that cervical cancer is not prevalent in nuns or virgins. Cervical cancer is caused by HPV. Men are carriers of HPV. They have no signs or symptoms, therefore passing it on unknowingly to their partners. Condoms have been shown to be ineffective in preventing the spread of HPV as it can be spread by skin to skin contact. A woman in her life time will have at least one strain of HPV, there are around 100 different strains with certain strains being the ones to cause cervical cancer.

So your boyfriend could be a carrier of HPV and pass it on to you. It doesn't affect him at all. Unless you don't have sex or any skin to skin contact, you are at risk.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #6
(female)

Snix HB User

[QUOTE=canadadiva;2761610]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snix View Post
i
So your boyfriend could be a carrier of HPV and pass it on to you. It doesn't affect him at all. Unless you don't have sex or any skin to skin contact, you are at risk.
yeah, but hes never had a partner before me....or can he just be born with it???

Old 01-24-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
(female)

jc60656 HB User

The vaccine hasn't even been approved for young boys or men and as of today, there isn't a way to test men for this virus!

The spread of this virus is near reaching epidemic proportions and it isn't necessarily attributed to sexual promiscuity as it can be contracted from skin to skin contact. In my mind, the fact that the strain that is known to cause cervical cancer which can lead to death certainly makes it a public health threat!!

And yes, in a lifetime we are exposed to one or more strains of the virus, and with healthy immune systems we do fight it off- but we still need treatment to prevent the development of cervical cancer. I test positive for high risk HPV and am certainly not going to sit back and wait for my immune system to do it's job, because there is a chance that my cervical cell changes could one day soon develop into cancerous cells, and believe me; prevention treatments, biopsies, and means of cervical observation prior to developing cancerous cells aren't pleasant. If I could have received this vaccine years ago, I would have got it to prevent what I have to go through now. And I don't necessarily think it is fair to compare these strains to the other 96+ strains because for example, the strain that causes plantars warts doesn't involve a risk of developing cancer of the feet!!!

And by deciding to get the vaccine, I don't think I am blindly making a decision based upon the propaganda of the drug company- I think I am making a decision that could potentially save me from more physical and mental pain than I have already gone through.

Although, I do understand your hesitation regarding your young daughters if there isn't much data available. However, for your daughters well being, I certainly hope you use an open mind in the next coming years as more research is completed and data is compiled.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: I WILL NOT allow my daughter to get the new HPV vaccine.

It's so nice to see that people are actually thinking about things like this instead of blindly trusting doctors/big pharm with their precious childrens' health. Having had a child who was vaccine damaged as a baby, my daughter will also not be receiving this vaccine---EVER. It will be interesting to see the health effects of the little girls who are being vaccinated now in 10years or so.

I can't help but think of things like laser eye surgery. Many many people decided to "wait 10 years" before trusting that technology. Indeed, some problems were found with the old methods, techniques were improved and now it is recognized as generally safe and effective. Of course, someone has to be the "guinea pig." I just refuse to let it be me or my child.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User

I also had severe dysplasia and would recommend this vaccine.

Condoms do not prevent it from spreading. It is in the statistics that if you have 3 or more sexual partners than you have most likely been exposed to some form of HPV. True, not all strains cause cervial cancer. But if you can prevent it, why wouldn't you?

The reason they are looking to vaccinate younger girls is so they can get them before they become sexually active. They are hoping to increase the age span for women in the upcoming years and also start to offer it to young men and boys who could become "carriers".

With cervical cancer being so preventable now I just think it is silly not to at least consider it. Women younger and younger are getting cancer, not just dysplasia. These are women who are using condoms and thinking they are doing everything "right". There reproductive health is at risk for something they didn't even think could happen. I think that statistic is far more scary. I won't think twice about getting both of my daughters vaccinated when they are of age.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:32 PM   #10
(female)

Zenobiadestiny HB User

I agree with the op.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-02-2007 at 06:41 PM.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:07 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

newfie11 HB User

This vaccine just came out. I would wait to see what problems may show up down the road by using it.
Newfie11

Old 03-08-2007, 11:49 PM   #12
(female)

Ashes1988 HB User

I disagree on that, I think that the vacination for young girls is a great idea. I wish that they had it around when I was young. I'm 19 yrs old I'm still a virgin an I got diagnosed with High grade Diplasia, an anal HPV. I just had surgery yesterday to have these removed. I think that this is a very seriouse virus that should not be taken lightly. I have a little sister who is 6 yrs old, when she turns 9 which is the age that they aquire girls to get the shot, My sister will be getting it. I'm in a lot of pain right now, an my fear is that girls, an even girls who are active should be more careful in taking care of there body. My hpv first started out with the warts, I had many doctors tell me they were skin tags, but I waited alomost a yr. I went an got a pap test done an I had pre cancer cells all over my cervix. This is an issuse that I think needs to be carefully watched in young Girls. My doctor told me that with me being 19 yrs old that I should not be having to deal with something like this at this age. HE said is is more common in women 30 yrs an older.
Im going to be at risk for the rest of my life. I feel sad about it, but all I can do is pread the word. If cancer runs in your family please consider getting your teenage daughter checked, even if she says she is not sexually active.

I have cancer that runs in both sides of my family, when I was 12 yrs old I had a syst removed from my right breast, everything turnued out ok for me, but you never know in the long run what could happen to your body, look at me i'm only 19 yrs old. I used to think just like everybody else, Oh that will never happen to me. Well as you know it did. I still have a smile on my face all I can do is look forward, an learn to take better care of my body. One more thing I have to say is, If you smoke an you have HPV that is another factor that could make things worse. I quit smoking to better my body an hopefully in the future when I decide to have a family of my own I will have a healthier body to give my children.

Thanks

Old 03-09-2007, 10:42 AM   #13
(female)

luvmy2kids HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom28 View Post
I also had severe dysplasia and would recommend this vaccine.

Condoms do not prevent it from spreading. It is in the statistics that if you have 3 or more sexual partners than you have most likely been exposed to some form of HPV. True, not all strains cause cervial cancer. But if you can prevent it, why wouldn't you?

The reason they are looking to vaccinate younger girls is so they can get them before they become sexually active. They are hoping to increase the age span for women in the upcoming years and also start to offer it to young men and boys who could become "carriers".

With cervical cancer being so preventable now I just think it is silly not to at least consider it. Women younger and younger are getting cancer, not just dysplasia. These are women who are using condoms and thinking they are doing everything "right". There reproductive health is at risk for something they didn't even think could happen. I think that statistic is far more scary. I won't think twice about getting both of my daughters vaccinated when they are of age.
Well put happymom! I agree!

Old 03-10-2007, 06:54 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

I really debated about whether or not to get it myself, but I'm 26 so I had to decide fast. I definitely would have preferred to wait for more data...
Aside from the whole lack of long term study issues, I didn't have any hesitation. I'm not currently sexually active and won't be until I'm married. But what about my future husband? Not to mention rape. Plus there are so many std's out there that it definitely is not the iron shield to allow promiscuity.
And despite my religious beliefs, I'm sorry to say I did have sex once. I'm glad my mom gave me the hep B vaccine. Never saw it as an ok to have sex, not even close. Definitely think it is possible to be a young person and not have sex. But by gosh a lot of things can get confusing in college so I'm glad my mom did what she could to protect me from what admittedly was a mistake.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:19 PM   #15
(female)

Melinda25 HB User

iam a 25 year old mother of 2 boys i was told at 19 i had HPV & cervical dysplasia when i heard about the vaccine i was thrill that they were goin to prevent another young girl from going through what i have.. my periods get worse every month and the pain is very intense ( and i have 2 sons) i only wished the vaccine was around be4 i got this and i could have prevented it ...this thing is spreading across the world and i think the right step was taken to assure the safety of these young girls everyones intitled to there own opinion but if i had a daughter i would want her to get the vaccine you could be savin her life in the future and if its available for boys my sons will get it so they dont spread anything to others.. theres so many other more serious things to worry about like HIv and AIds with NO cure .....if there was a vaccine for these surely everyone would want there children to have it ....discuss things with ur daughters and ask there opinion also it might help you to make ur mind up cause this will affect both parent and child ....thanks

Closed Thread