It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2007, 08:46 AM   #1
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User
Question HPV vaccine?

I thought this vaccine was only for preteens and women who are not yet sexually active, but my gynocologist gave me Gardisil pamplets and told me I should strongly consider getting it. I guess the target age range goes up to age 26 - I'm 25. I'm not a virgin, but I've only slept with one person. Chances are he does have HPV, though - 85% of the adult population does. He also has a couple of genital warts which I read are caused by HPV. I guess the vaccine can prevent new strains though (there are several different strains). This is if I were to sleep with someone else. I'm weighing the pros and cons, wondering if it's really worth it to me to get it. I go to yearly gyno exams - isn't that enough? I mean that should detect cervical cancer in time, right?HPV doesn't even cause every case of cervical cancer - only 70% of cases. So getting a shot preventing HPV won't neccessarily prevent cervical cancer. We also don't know about long-term effects of the vaccine. I don't know, what do you think? Is anyone my age here planning to get it?

Old 01-27-2007, 09:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: HPV vaccine?

The fact that it only protects against the strains that cause 70% of cervical cancer is hardly a reason to dismiss it. I'd take those odds any day. (Plus, it also prevents 90% of genital warts.)

Also, there is a huge difference between getting a PAP to detect cervical cancer and preventing it in the first place. If you get cervical cancer, you get cervical cancer and all the fun treatments that go with it. Don't you think prevention sounds better than treatment?

As for your particular situation, it may seem odd that your doc would suggest it but if she feels you're a candidate (knowing your sexual history), I would take the oportunity. The main criteria is that you don't already have any of the strains it's supposed to protect against. (It would be a waste to give it to someone who's already got it.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2007, 09:19 AM   #3
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User

Well I don't know how she'd know what strains I have. Chances are I have at least low-grade HPV since my SO has warts. I've read it can take years to come up on a screen (it's only in the past few years that I've become sexually active). So does that mean it won't work on me at all? I don't know, I'm just skeptical about this new vaccine coming on the market all of a sudden, and this rush to get a large population of girls vaccinated. Do we really know it's safe? Look at the FDA messing up big time with the BC patch. Cost is also something I'm thinking about since chances are, my insurance won't cover it. $360 is a large chunk of cash.

I don't know, I think I'll wait. To a certain extent, I think what will be will be. Since I have probably already been exposed to HPV and don't plan on becoming sexually active with anyone else anytime soon (maybe never) it may be too late for me. I also plan on using condoms all the time from now on regardless if I stay with this person or move on. It's a much cheaper, easier, safer way to prevent HPV and other STD's. We could get ourselves into more health risks by trying to prevent cervical cancer.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:01 PM   #4
(female)

redheadchick HB User

I wish this vaccine came out about 6 months earlier! I have been diagnosed with strain of hpv that causes warts and my gyno still suggested that go ahead and get the vaccine. So I have started the series of 3 shots. Unfortunately I have not had my pap since the warts appeared so I am unsure if I might have any of the other strains. But my papsmear last year came back normal and clear. But I believe taht my current partner is the one that gave me the hpv. Which sucks b/c he is an awsome guy and care about him so much and vice versa. But he has never shown any symptoms (which is common) and had been tested for everything else. So with a clean record or so I thought that things would be ok. We became intimate before all this vaccine talk! I definitely wish this was avaliable then!

If he IS showing symptoms and you have not been intimate i would DEF get the vaccine. I am not enjoying having to deal with warts. Plus I would avoid any intmate contact while he has warts! The virus is active at that point and is said to be most contagious during that period. I also agree with sunshine about the condoms. I am prob going to be with my partner for a very long time so I am def going to be more careful so that i can minimize my warts coming back.

As far as the vaccine helping to keep warts or the other strains from being less severe there is no proof. However in my case, my gyno did mention that sometimes it does help to send the virus into remission and the warts dissappear quicker. I don't know if this is true considering that my warts have gotten a bit worse since starting the first shot of the vaccine.

But I think reguardless of whether you think that you might have hpv, any of the strains, I would get the vaccine. Like you have been with very few people and I still got it. Also, I hear keeping your immune system strong is also key. I doubt getting mono a few months prior didn't really help me either.

Anywho, good luck!

Old 01-27-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine0806 View Post
I also plan on using condoms all the time from now on regardless if I stay with this person or move on. It's a much cheaper, easier, safer way to prevent HPV and other STD's.
You must be under the mistaken impression that condoms provide complete protection against HPV, lol.

Condoms only protect what they cover, and only when they are covered. Since HPV is spread from general contact, you would need your partner to wear a condom for every single moment you two have contact, regardless of the act. I somehow doubt too many people go to that extreme...

Old 01-28-2007, 11:18 AM   #6
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisby View Post
You must be under the mistaken impression that condoms provide complete protection against HPV, lol.

Condoms only protect what they cover, and only when they are covered. Since HPV is spread from general contact, you would need your partner to wear a condom for every single moment you two have contact, regardless of the act. I somehow doubt too many people go to that extreme...
I didn't know that HPV could be spread by anything other than vaginal/penile contact, but if that's true then oh, well. I'm sure that if my SO has it, then I do. If I have it, I have it. I also don't do or plan on doing anything other than traditional sex (with condoms) and mouth-to-mouth kissing with my SO or anyone else if we ever break up. Anything else is just... kind of nasty, IMO. Did it once and don't plan on EVER doing it again!

The point is, it doesn't even matter what I do or don't do with the partner I'm with now, since I'll have gotten whatever he had by now. If I get with someone else down the road, then I plan to use protection every time like I do now. I prefer sex with condoms, anyway. I'm not someone who sleeps around and don't plan on being intimate with anyone who does. Condoms provide adequate protection against STD's and HPV unless we've been lied to all these years. Condoms aren't talked up like they should be because they're inexpensive - instead, let's pump up women with $400 vaccines that are brand new to the market. No, I'm not falling for it. Why don't they come up with something that will prevent HPV in men? I'm planning on talking to my regular MD about it when I have my next appt. in March (who I trust and know better than my gyno), but at this point, I'm very skeptical of the vaccine. Cervical cancer is fairly rare from what I've heard, and I'd rather take my chances at this point than be a human guinea pig with this vaccine.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine0806 View Post
I didn't know that HPV could be spread by anything other than vaginal/penile contact, but if that's true then oh, well. I'm sure that if my SO has it, then I do. If I have it, I have it. I also don't do or plan on doing anything other than traditional sex (with condoms) and mouth-to-mouth kissing with my SO or anyone else if we ever break up. Anything else is just... kind of nasty, IMO. Did it once and don't plan on EVER doing it again!
So no hand contact either?

I'm only bugging you because you're here on a public forum talking against a product that is going save lives but you're basing your opinion on the belief that condoms protect against all STDs, and an assumption that the product hasn't been tested for long-term side effects. I'm certainly not pushing you to get it, totally your decision, but don't slam it if you don't know the facts.

Condoms are great for protecting again certain STDs, but have only limited protection against those that can be spead from skin contact alone - as I said before, they only protect what they cover, so say a woman has a herpes or syphilis leision on her vulva, or the man has one on his scrotum, the condom does nothing. Do you get what I'm saying?

Anyway, it's your choice. And considering that of course you already have what your bf has, it seems like a cost/risk/benefit choice that isn't working in your favor anyway.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 01-28-2007 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Unnecessary comment removed.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:27 AM   #8
(female)

jjemom HB User

Please, before you get the vaccine, check the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System online and read about adverse reactions to Gardasil. If you can be patient, other drug companies are working on HPV vaccines which hopefully will be safer and have fewer side effects than Gardasil. My daughter was seriously injured by this vaccine, and it didn't happen until her third shot. I wish we had waited........

Closed Thread