It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
(female)

delphi92 HB User
Angry Anyone hpv/vin? - angry no disclosure

Looking for some insight - I am a 42 year old woman - I was diagnosed Oct 2006 with HPV. I had no signs of cervical displasia but rather vulvar - I had previously been tested in March of 2005 and March of 2006 and had been negative. I do not have warts and have been told and read that the virus which causes warts is not the same strain that causes pre cancerous cell growth, and that the strain which causes cell growth does not cause worts, I imagine I should be thankfull I don't have both.
After reading some of the posts I am very thankful for my physicians office.
I am angry - I can't grasp that this is something I may have had for years as I was negative in years past - In addition most ob/gyn offices will test 3 consecutive years and with no change in sexual partner will not test again unless requested. My sister who is married requested the test at her ob gyn and was advised that if she or her husband had not been having extra marital affairs there was no need her paps were normal and prev HPV tests were negative. Why is this being toted as an STD that we may come in contact with in our early 20's but show no symptoms of until our later 30 and 40's.
I am angry - the individual that I had involved myself with after both of us having been tested - yes we were tested - aids, ghonorea, clamidia his sheet apparently did not list an HPV screening - yes men can be screened for lesions, hpv.
I am angry that he stepped outside of our relationship and returned to a previous relationship indicating that "the mother of his children had cancer and he needed to help her through this" Silly me I did not ask what type of cancer.
This young woman at 25 years of age had been diagnosed in April of 2006 and did not mention HPV or that it was contagious no one notified me - having previosly tested negative I was not scheduled to return to my ob/gyn until March of 2007, and likely would not have tested again as was previously negative .
I am angry - as all of the information out there indicates that it can take years for hpv to develop into cancer. Not necesarily true. High risk factors such as age - thank you over 40 - using birth control pills yes I know my stupidity and smoking' low imune system they all weigh in
By October 2006 when I learned of her miraculous curer of cervical cancer " which she contracted from a previous boyfriend 10 years ago" without the removal of her cervix, or chemo I realized that she likely had been treated fot HPV. I headed for my doctor.
A slight discoloration on my vulva the size of one of these smiley faces nothing - biopsied VIN level 3. No internal displasia at that point thank god - but at level 3 surgically removed and I am thankful, I do feel blessed as I researched some extreme cases. My doctor was able to remove the affected area and get all clean margins, the size of a quarter- he also took the time thankfully to reconstruct what was left to appear "normal" - there is still some discomfort as if you are a woman you might understand.
I was told by my doctor that this was something that I had likely contracted recently, and that the virous was strong or that the other individual had "active lesions" which had gone untreated.
I had honestly had 3 partners during the past 15 years I notified each of them, thankfully none of there current partners or themselves tested positive other than the 3rd.
I am angry - as I have since learned that these two have involved themselves in an on again off again relationship for the past 8 years - and actively engage with other partners, continue to engage other partners, continue to infect other individuals.
This young woman had known that she was infected and had been under a physicians supervion monitoring her displasia when she chose to engage in relations with the same individual as myself- knowing that we were also sexually involved. Her attitude - I deserved it.
Most woman I have spoken to and most people seem to hold the opinion that it is no big deal, that as long as the precancerous cell growth is removed - its o.k..
I am angry - annonymity o.k discretion - o.k but notify me !!!!!!!
This is a non reported STD - anyone can have it anyone can spread it, malicious intent - so what. I was told to contact my congressman but our lovely overworked yet underpaid department of health.
Is there anyone out there who has a similar experience?? Anyone else with VIN not CIN???
My hope?? is for my health, to forgive forget get past this and be here to watch my daughter grow.
I am angry and I am hurt, I would just like 1 person to understand.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
(female)

wishing_well HB User
Re: Anyone hpv/vin? - angry no disclosure

Although I cannot relate to you as far as age goes, I too was angry when diagnosed. I never even heard about this virus until being diagnosed. At first I blamed doctor's and health officials for not educating the public more about it. I could not believe that EVERY single female AND male I came into contact with had no idea what this was. I also blame the men and women that knowingly spread this virus around. Even though I cannot pinpoint exactly where I got it from, I am being proactive and trying to educate everyone I come in contact with. I also think more research should be done. I have found that every doctor I talk to have different opinions and facts regarding this virus.

I'm sure you like me have been VERY careful with partners. I thought I was safe, using protection, screening them, everything I could, but It won't do any good to be angry. I think we should just be greatful that we were the lucky ones to catch it on time. The hard part about HPV is that it can go away on it's own. So some women may ignorantly think that they have gotten rid of the virus and not mention it to their current partner. I think this virus should be treated more seriously. The best thing we can do is bring awareness to our youth and city. Hopefully by experience, WE CAN ALL MAKE A DIFFERENCE...

Closed Thread