It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
(female)

kellibells83 HB User
First Abnormal Pap ever, ASCUS and HPV as a result

Hello all,

I have been receiving routine yearly pap smears every year (excluding last year because of Insurance matters) since I turned 18 years old. I just turned 24 about a month ago. With new Insurance, I made my appointment to get a yearly pap and it came back ASCUS with HPV detected. I am devastated. I have only been with two partners in my life, one relationship from age 18-20. I have been with my present boyfriend for over 3 years and I am sure that he is faithful. What frightens me most is that my first boyfriend commited suicide when I was twenty. Not knowing why, I immediately got tested for EVERYTHING under the sun after his death (at this point, 4 years ago.) Everything was fine then with tests/paps and has always been up until this last pap. (And up to the point to where the Dr. told me it was time to stop being a worry-wart!) I have a colposcopy scheduled for tommorow morning.

My doctor tried to calm me over the phone telling me how common this was (both high and low risk HPV) in women. I know that both my deceased boyfriend and my current boyfriend have had previous partners before me so I obviously got it from one of the two of them. What confuses me is that I have had normal paps with my present boyfriend up until now. I have read HVP can lie dormant for years and that stressful events can trigger it.

As much as people seem to downplay HPV in stating that most will have it and not even ever realize it, when you learn you do have it, for me, personally, it has me a complete wreck. All this in the middle of Grad School finals.. If anyone has experienced similar situations as mine and would like to offer any words, I would greatly appreciate it- Im doing my best to convince myself that this is in fact, not a big deal.. So far, no luck!

Thanks...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User
Re: First Abnormal Pap ever, ASCUS and HPV as a result

I totally know what you mean. I was 26 when I had my first abnormal pap. At that point I had been married for over 8 years, and had been only with my husband for about 10 years. I was completely freaked out. I didn't really know much about HPV at all. My Dr. explained everything to me and it made me feel so much better. He told me that about 80% of sexually active people have it.

As long as you stay on top of it, it'll be fine. Have you had a colposcopy yet? I had another abnormal pap after my colposcopy and then 3-4 months later it was normal and it's been normal ever since....2 years now. Good luck!!
PCOS

Old 05-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User

I forgot to add...mine was ASCUS as well. When I had the colposcopy he said there were only a few spots and they were minor. Take it one day at a time, you'll be okay!!
PCOS

Old 05-07-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I've had two abnormal paps. The first one was in the 80's. I immediately got another pap which was normal. Remember paps are screening tests that can report false negatives & positives!!! I recently had another abnormal pap. A repeat pap is negative. But my HPV is low risk. I hope to have that repeated soon. According the the lab report HPV reports can be false positives too. To top it off my husband has been my only sexual contact ever. Same goes for my husband. I value my good health & never wanted to risk it. You might want to contact the CDC (centers for disease control) to learn more about HPV. HPV can be contacted with genital touching as well as intercourse so condoms will have limited effectiveness in prevention. Fam

Old 05-07-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
(female)

LAgirl81 HB User

Hi Kellibells83,

I just read your post and felt I had to respond because I know *exactly* how you feel right now. I, too, tested positive for high-risk HPV last year when I was 25 after only having been with my first (now ex) boyfriend. Naturally, this was a complete shock and utter blow to me as this was my first partner! I've been dealing with ASCUS paps for the past 2.5 years now and it still is quite a stressful ordeal. When I first found out about my ASCUS and HPV, I was a total, emotional wreck-- I think that's only a normal response! I felt dirty and mad that I could get something from having only been with one person-- and something that men cannot be screened for! So I understand your frustrations completely! I just had another ASCUS-H pap which is a little different than ASCUS as the cells are still atypical but they can't rule out the possibility of there being some high-grade squamous cell lesions. Basically it could mean that I have anything from slight abnormality (ASCUS) to moderate or severe dysplasia. Yah, crazy huh? I'm going out of my mind not knowing what the hell is going on in my body!

It is true that this virus is rampant and that it is everywhere-- it's just that unfortunately some strains show up as ASCUS paps and this could potentially lead to dysplasia later on. I'm going in for another colposcopy (my 3rd in 3 years! the first two were benign thankfully) a week from this Thursday and I am *petrified* that there will be some pre-cancerous cells now. It's so stressful and so distracting -- it feels so hard not to worry about this!

But if you just received an ASCUS pap, then I'm assuming your changes are pretty mild and you shouldn't worry too much. I know that's easier said than done, but having had ASCUS paps for 2.5 years now, I know that there really isn't much point to get too worked up over it as the changes are pretty mild on your cervix. I hope this helps you! Trust me, I have been on the same emotionally draining experience (and am on it now still, unfortunately) and keeping your mind off of it the best you can is one way of coping. Also, surround yourself with your friends and family who support and love you. I constantly call my family and talk to my friends and boyfriend about the stresses this is causing and their steadfast support is what is getting me through all this.

Also, I am in graduate school too and I find this all so distracting! I am not focusing as much as I'd like to now on my schoolwork which is so frustrating because I have so much work to get done. I understand how this is a completely draining experience and if you ever need to talk or vent, let me know! Also, tell me how your colposcopy goes tomorrow-- it's not that much different from a pap, as you've heard about on this board I'm sure, so stay calm and do deep breathing. Also, make sure to ask your doctor ANY and ALL questions about what's going on with your body. It's important to keep informed of what's going on with our bodies! I'm keeping you in my thoughts and best of luck tomorrow!

Old 05-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #6
(female)

kellibells83 HB User

Thanks ladies for your replies..

I had my colposcopy this morning. She came in of course telling me "please, dont worry.." etc.. She actually is an excellent Dr. Turns out I certainly have a bacterial infection in which she prescribed 500mg Flagyl twice a day for seven days. She also found only one very small spot that she did a biopsy on after applying that vinegar solution that I will find the results out on this Friday.. She said it was extremely mild and that she assured me again of how common this was, and if it did in fact come back a bit strange, as it very well might not, that the various procedures offered to remove the one spot could be very helpful in taking care of the problem.

Funny thing is, I was speaking discreetly about this to an older lady friend of mine today at school (in my Masters Program, the students ages range from about 23-60- and their is a wild range of ages), telling her how off guard it caught me, it being the first problem I had ever had. To any woman who reads this and these problems are new to them as well, after speaking to your doctor and reading what I write next, I hope that reading this section of my post helps ease the anxiety that comes along with this problem..

Continuing, I told my friend in class about the colposcopy and about the anxiety of the whole situation. Being a mother of four adult children with 3 daughters around my age (24), she said all three have had abnormal paps, and that one had the LEEP procedure and one of the others had had cells frozen. At this point, THREE of my female classmates (in my age range 24 to 28 or so) that were sitting around my friend and I had heard the conversation we were having. It was literally as if it turned into a Group Therapy Session (which would be appropriate as we are in a Masters in Counseling Program ) because all three interjected into the conversation. One of the girls spoke about her LEEP procedure and how scared she was, but since then- all has come up normal..The other mentioned her biopsy after an abnormal pap w/ HPV and how frightened she was, esp. since she had been married a few years before it turned up, and the third commenting on having abnormal paps due to the Glandular Cell form of ASCUS, (AGCUS)..

All of my classmates that overheard my conversation expressed how much these things scared them initially when they heard about them (Clearly, we all cried like babies after such news ) But, if this post can leave anyone with the deep anxiety we all experience with some releif- I can't tell you how much further of a reassurance it was when 3 of my classmates overheard my conversation and felt the need to inject and let me know of their situations..

I take back my previous comment in my post, this apparently is quite common.. I have my head up for the first time in a few days about this and I am feeling better now that I am knowledgable..

Thanks all..

Old 05-10-2007, 06:58 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User

Hi,

I'm glad everything went well with your colposcopy. I know how worrying it all can be, but as you've seen, abnormal Paps are very common and in the majority of cases, any problems can be swiftly dealt with.

Big hugs and prayers that everything will be normal for you in the future.

Lisa

Old 05-10-2007, 12:28 PM   #8
(female)

pp_keke HB User

HI kellibells83 ,

I completely know how you felt. I'm in my twenties and was disgnosed with HPV and abnormal paps this year too. I am totally frightened and worried. I had a lot of negative emotions and saw no hope and thought my life has compeltely changed or ruined. Even though my doctor told me that it's common but when I look at my co-workers, friends, I just still feel that I'm one of the minority of people who are going though this nightmare. But now, I decide to try to stay positive and do my best to fight this virus! thanks to your postings. I'm coming in for a follow-up pap early next month, I hope the HPV would become negative and the pap would become nromal....

I did some research on HPV these days and found that there are a couple of promising HPV therapeutic vaccines trials going on currently, like the vaccines developing by Transgene and Stressgene. Even though these vaccines are not 100% effective in treating HPV related cell changes, they've shown very promosing results - at least 50% complete clearance of the lesions and even the virus went negative! If things go well, one of the products may be avaiable by 2011. There are also a some other people working on developing HPV vaccines that both preventative and therapeutic. Hopefully one day (hopefully in ten years...), they will has such a vaccine availabe for all of us!

Closed Thread