It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007, 08:33 PM   #1
(female)

coty HB User
Where to get HPV vaccine?

Hi there,
I would like to know where I could get vaccinated against HPV.
I asked in some hospitals and cliniques, but they don't carry it, and they've sent me to the Health Post, but the problem is that I'm 30, and they provide it to people till 18.
My fiance has had worts in his genitals, but he does not know what kind, and his ex-girlfriend has been detected pre cancerous cells in her cervix recently. This doesn't seem to matter to the Health Post, because I'm 30; but I would really like to get it.

If anybody knows where I could go, I'd be grateful to know.
Thanks!

Old 07-31-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
(female)

Andrea84 HB User
Re: Where to get HPV vaccine?

I could be wrong and maybe another poster could weigh in on this but I believe the vaccine is for people to get before they have begun sexual activity - that's why that particular age range.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2007, 09:07 PM   #3
(female)

rhiannon777 HB User

Most health departments and public facilities only provide the vaccine to girls under 18. You will probably have to go to an Ob/Gyn in private practice to get it. The vaccine is only approved for women up to 26, though, so you may have an even harder time trying to find someone who will give it to you. Also, your insurance will almost certainly not pay for it, so be prepared to pay about $600.

All that aside, I don't think the vaccine would be helpful to you anyway. If your fiance has HPV, assuming you have been having sex with him, you have almost certainly contracted the virus. Just keep going for your regular pap smears. I would also strongly recommend that your fiance see a doctor to determine what the warts on his genitals are. It's possible that they are not even HPV-related.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

desertdweller HB User

My 18 year old daughter is getting her first series of the three HPV vaccine shots next week. Since the vaccine is so new, some clinics have not received the vaccine yet, others only order it by request because it is so expensive. We have typical PPO insurance, and it is covered 100%. I contacted our insurance to make sure. Our doctor said even if you already have HPV, it's a good idea to still get the vaccine. There are hundreds of strains of HPV, and it can keep you from getting other types.
I would ask your family doctor about why the vaccine has an age limit. Maybe they can make an exception. Unfortunately, like the others have posted, you undoubtedly already have a strain of HPV if you are sexually active with someone that has the warts.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
(female)

shnarfer HB User

Hi, I'm almost 30 and just completed my series. I also had a LEEP done last year due to HPV, and the doctor thought I should get the vaccination just in case I come into contact with a different strain. My theory is, it can never hurt.
Anyway, I got it done at his office- he ordered it for his patients- many of whom had HPV and are now testing negative. Anyway, I don't know if it was relaly worth it, but you CAN get it through your obgyn. It IS expensive though as your insurance will only cover it if you are under 26- awesome.
Anyway, best of luck to you!

Old 09-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #6
(female)

coty HB User

I don't mind paying for it. And my thesis is that it can never hurt. What if we depart and I get a different sexual partner down the road? (Extremely Unlikely but still possible) and what about the possibility of being raped? (God forbids it, but still possible).
I will see if I can get it in the drs. office.
Thank you gals!

Closed Thread