It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2007, 08:57 AM   #1
(female)

graveflower HB User
confused and scared........

Hello all ....... I'm new here and found this site by searching for answers about HPV and the procedures others are experiencing and going through.
I am 36 year old and after not having a pap for several years (apprx 5) and my husbands new medical insurance kicking in I finally went in to do the long over due pap/gyno appointment. Last March of 2006 I had an HPV test done w/my pap as this was a new and recommended for woman over 30 years of age. I am not quite sure what my Pap test results came back as but I know I was told it was abnormal...after hearing that shocking news since I had never experienced an abnormal pap before the Doctor told me my HPV test came back as being Positive. I had no clue as to what HPV was........but I do remember when I was told they were going to give me an HPV test along w/my pap that I was told this was an STD. She went on to tell me more about my results and so on but I honestly can't remember the technical terms or understood anything she had just said. I do remember being told that I tested Positive for a High Risk strain of HPV. She went on to tell me that though it is an STD that there was really no way of knowing when exactly I had contracted it or from who I had etc. So nor my husband or self was to blame .........ok but wow an STD........I don't quite understand how something can lay dormant for so long then suddenly appear.......or for how many years etc.
Anyhow, after the news of my pap and HPV test results she scheduled me to have a Colposcopy done a week later. She also did a biopsy while performing the Colposcopy but told me I didn't looks so bad and should have nothing to worry about. I do however have to keep coming back every 6 months for the following 2 years for the same procedure and that i would just have to wait each time till I received two negative HPV test results back to back.
I had just received my 2nd Colposcopy & Biopsy by a different doctor in our group, because my previous one didn't have any openings till next month and they wanted me to come in asap. I had this done on Saturday, August 11 and the procedure and experience was quite different then the first one. Though I remember feeling some mild to moderate cramping for almost a week and some mild spotting as well after the first Colposcopy and Biopsy...this time my cramping was extreme. I also had a lot more tissue taken w/this recent Biopsy and the doctor used the Monsel's solution (to stop the bleeding) during this times procedure. He also used two different kinds of methods for retrieving the tissue......One it felt like he had to go far up into my cervix and scrape it w/one instrument and another where it seemed he was performing a punch biopsy in my lower area. I have had very painful cramping, and more spotting along w/the coffee grain type of discharge this round. 4 days after this was done, as I wiped myself after using the restroom, I found a rock looking clot the size of a quarter w/a tissue paper like membrane tinged w/blood the size of an orange. Is this normal?????? Or has anyone else experience this before? I am sorry for the graphic explanation and if I grossed anyone out but I am really confused because I have not experienced this before w/the previous Colposcopy/Biopsy.
I am still waiting for my test results and shouldn't have to wait longer then 2 weeks (I hope) but he told me that from my records of the previous tests months prior to the results of my pap this time around that my dysplasia has gone from mild to moderate. He also told me that normally HPV even high risk types usually rids itself w/in a year and isn't a problem for most people. The next piece of info he told me completely through me for a loop. He told me my next option might be to have a hysterectomy.........but I have not been told I have any cancer?

I'm not only embarrassed and confused but I'm worried and frightened. I don't understand why a hysterectomy would be an option for me later if I do not have cancer or I am so far just having moderate dysplasia along w/a positive high risk strain of HPV.
Does anyone have any more info then what I am finding searching this subject or is anyone experiencing similar issues?....Even advice, anything would be grateful.

Thank you so much....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2007, 10:05 AM   #2
(male)

piperpilot HB User
Re: confused and scared........

I suspect that the discharged clot you found was basicaaly the scab from inside your cervical canal when they did the ECC (endocervical curttage). That's normal. In terms of the Mild dysplasia progressing to moderate to severe, I would doubt it--possible but it would be more likely that they missed the the more severe dyspalsia when they did the biopsy. It was probably there before. Rather than admit this, the Dr would rather you believe your mild dysplasia has progressed in short order. Again, with a virus it's possible, but not likely. The other possibility is that the pathologist misread the biopsy--his interpretation was mild dysplasia when it may have been moderate (again, this deals with the depth in the cervical skin of dysplastic cells). All that matters now is getting it treated since it is Moderate (meaning the cells are found in 1/2 to 2/3 of the depth of the epithelium of the lesion(s)) and try to get your immune system as strong as possible. You are not alone--my girlfriend (39) and I have gone through the same crap recently and we are both smart, clean, responsible people. This virus is very common and there is no good that can come from trying to assess and assign blame.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
(female)

shnarfer HB User

Wow,
I can't answer to the blood clot- but a hysterectomy does sound a bit extreme considering you are still in a watch and wait period. I would get a second opinion. Usually a LEEP procedure is done first etc. I have only heard of hyserectomy even being an option if a woman has already had all the children she wants and then decides she doesn't want to deal with the constant cervical checkups or possible reoccurences so to speak. It all sounds a bit strange though as you are talking some major surgery there- so I vote for getting a second opinion.
As for having HPV for so long without knowing, I had mine for at least 6-7 years, possibly more before it developed into abnormal paps.So it can stay in your body a while before leading to anything. I also have a high risk strain that developed into severe dysplasia, but I just got a LEEP done- had a great surgeon with lots of practice in this area. I only had cramping after the LEEP for the first hour. Then that was it. Although the mental stress and emotional upset was my real battle during those first few months of finding out. Now I am testing negative for the virus- which I think is really neat.
Anyway, just don't despair and get a second opinion if your doctor is pushing for the hysterectomy. He could just be throwing it out there as one of many options though.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
(female)

maryjane1984 HB User

I'm so glad I read your post! I had the SAME THING! It freaked me out a little bit, but I figured it was the whole scab coming off at once. It was weird though because I didn't even feel it...then I saw it.

But yes, you are not alone. I think it may just be that the dr. used extra stuff to 'bandage' the place, kind of like a liquid bandage.

Closed Thread