It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
(female)

gradstudent09 HB User
HPV Vaccine for "older" woman

I am 43, recently divorced from a monogamous relationship after 15 years. I asked my gyn. if I could get the Guardasil vaccine and she replied that I'm not in the target population. However, I am sexually active again, and logic says that I could get infected just as easily as any other woman!

I called today to get on the schedule for the vaccine. My insurance will not cover the cost because of my age, but I think it's a small price to pay for SOME peace of mind. I know that not all strains of HPV are covered by the vaccine.

Any other 40-somethings out there who have gotten the vaccination?

Old 08-31-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
(female)

maryjane1984 HB User
Re: HPV Vaccine for "older" woman

while i am not 40-something, i have gotten 2 of the 3 shots so far. i think it's horrible that any doc. would advise against this vaccination...and any insurance company for that matter. i say go for it. my mindset is better safe than sorry. i think ALL women should get it. you may still get hpv (like me... ) but it won't be that dangerous kind that can lead to cancer. Just think...will you miss the money you spend on this series of shots a year from now? peace of mind is worth a lot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2007, 08:04 AM   #3
(female)

sirp HB User
Angry Re: HPV Vaccine for "older" woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent09 View Post
I am 43, recently divorced from a monogamous relationship after 15 years. I asked my gyn. if I could get the Guardasil vaccine and she replied that I'm not in the target population. However, I am sexually active again, and logic says that I could get infected just as easily as any other woman!

I called today to get on the schedule for the vaccine. My insurance will not cover the cost because of my age, but I think it's a small price to pay for SOME peace of mind. I know that not all strains of HPV are covered by the vaccine.

Any other 40-somethings out there who have gotten the vaccination?
Your doctor is correct on both counts....they are targeting women under age 30 & that most insurance companies will not pay for this vaccination for those over 30...mine won't.
Someone mis-coded my HPV test to appear that I had a vaccination & the insurance co won't pay for the test now either because of this mistake!

Old 09-12-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
(female)

LAgirl81 HB User

You can absolutely get the vaccine and there is no reason why doctors would have an age limit to it. I think they try to target pre-pubescent girls as they haven't had sex yet and they're the best candidates for the vaccine. But even if you're older than 26 and have had sex, then you can still get the vaccine. The vaccine protects you against 4 strains and if you only have 1 of them, why not protect yourself from the other 3? Definitely push for the vaccine when you see your doctor. It is your body and your health!

Old 09-13-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
(female)

sirp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAgirl81 View Post
You can absolutely get the vaccine and there is no reason why doctors would have an age limit to it. I think they try to target pre-pubescent girls as they haven't had sex yet and they're the best candidates for the vaccine. But even if you're older than 26 and have had sex, then you can still get the vaccine. The vaccine protects you against 4 strains and if you only have 1 of them, why not protect yourself from the other 3? Definitely push for the vaccine when you see your doctor. It is your body and your health!
It's not just the doctors, it's insurance companies too.....while many do pay there's a number that won't including mine.
I'm not going to worry at this stage of the game unless I could get it off a toilet seat!
Then I also wonder about new drugs...how safe are they really?? Who knows what could happen say 10 or 20 years down the road?

I'm also old enough to remember thalidomide! What an awful consequence.
I'd rather be safe than sorry...but what is safe now-a-days?
I'm done being a guinea pig.
I do NOT trust drug companies...they are in business to make profit....only when some awful undesirable effect becomes known they might do something about it.....maybe.
Priscilla

Closed Thread