It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 10:42 PM   #1
(female)

jlg18 HB User
successful child birth stories with high risk hpv

i am only nineteen years old and i want to have kids when i get older. i am in no rush to have them now. i just recently found out that i have high risk hpv. my dream when i was older was to have children, i feel like since i have this i may not be able to have children in the future. i am all for adoption, but i def want some of my own. i was just wondering if anybody out there has high risk hpv and has had children and would like to share their story? it would make me feel a lot better, thank you so much!

Old 10-10-2007, 01:46 AM   #2
(female)

LAgirl81 HB User
Re: successful child birth stories with high risk hpv

Hi there,

I haven't had kids yet as I'm not ready for them (I'm 26) but I've had high-risk HPV for a couple of years now. I just recently developed cervical dysplasia from my HPV and I'm waiting to see next month if I need a LEEP or if my dysplasia has regressed (as it can in some cases).

You must not think that because you have HPV that you won't have kids. There are a LOT of women on this board who've had LEEPs, cryo, and cone biopsies who successfully had babies afterwards. The only risk that HPV poses to your fertility is getting treatments (like the LEEP) to remove the abnormal tissue from your cervix. Most treatments are successful and have no negative effect on your fertility. Only about 1-2% of women who've had these minor surgeries experience problems, and in those cases (if they have a weakened cervix or scar tissue obstructing the entrance of the cervical canal), there are ways to remedy those problems, allowing these women to have their babies safely.

So don't worry! I understand your fears as this is in the back of my mind that I may have to get a LEEP and may fall into that 1-2% of women who experience complications. But you must put things in perspective (this helps me, too): even in the worst case scenario, you develop dysplasia from your HPV and you have to get a LEEP or cone biopsy. You have a 99-98% chance of being able to have a baby normally. And even if you fall into that 1-2%, your OB will be able to monitor you closely to make sure that you will be able to deliver your baby with no major problems.

I hope this helps! Remember that having HPV does NOT mean you won't have kids-- HPV has no correlation to infertility. Take care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
(female)

gabluzee HB User
Re: successful child birth stories with high risk hpv

Hope this story helps! Here goes:
One of my friends had high-grade dysplasia as a result of HPV when she was 20. She ended up having LEEP surgery not once, but twice in a matter of a few years. The good news is that several years later she had two healthy babies with no problems other than typical pregnancy woes. The other happy ending to this story is that she has also has had normal pap smears since then (she's in her 30s now).
So, keep positive thoughts and keep getting those regular checkups with your doctor. I hope every woman's story ends up as happily as my friend's!!

Closed Thread