It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 10:10 PM   #1
(female)

jlg18 HB User
hope?

is there any way that you can have high risk hpv and not have to go through the whole leep thing or anything? can it just go back to normal pap if you wait? i keep hearing all these stories about after i had my leep or just problem stories, i just want to see if there is any hope out there for this to go away without having to do leeps?

Old 10-11-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
(female)

AMAY HB User
Re: hope?

Hope~
when you have high risk HPV your pap will not return to normal on its own. The purpose of the LEEP is to take samples of those areas on your cervix which are abnormal due to the virus. Hopefully during the LEEP the majority of the abnormal cells are removed, allowing your paps to return to normal. My suggestion to you is make sure the physician doing your colpo/LEEP has experience and has a good success rate, that will make the procedure more tolerable and ease your anxiety some.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2007, 12:44 AM   #3
(female)

LAgirl81 HB User
Re: hope?

Actually, it depends on what type of dysplasia you have when dealing with whether or not it progresses or regresses. Mild dysplasia regresses to normal in the majority of cases and the more severe the dysplasia, the less likely it is to regress to normal without a surgical treatment.

However, it is important to remember that LEEPs or cyro, etc., do not "cure" us of dysplasia. It merely removes the abnormal tissue. Dysplasia can still come back after that, which is why keeping healthy is very, very important.

So having high risk HPV doesn't always mean you'll have abnormal paps and yes, it is possible for your paps to go back to normal but this depends on the severity of the dysplasia you have. I hope this helps!

Closed Thread