It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2008, 07:39 AM   #1
(female)

Mom2Buddy HB User
Question A number of questions - would appreciate any input!

Background: I have been married 17 years to DH. No sexual contact with anyone else in 21 years. DH had an A 2 years ago and various ONSs during our marriage (rebuilding now). My PAP was OK this year. Skipped a year, but PAP was OK 2 years ago. Prior to that, skipped 4 or so years, but PAPs were OK before that when I went as scheduled every year. I, obviously, will not skip appointments again. I had a child injured at birth and it put me off OB/GYNs for awhile.

Questions:

From my previous question regarding dormancy, I assume that I could either have contracted this virus from DH (from A, ONSs, or he had it when he met me) or I could have had it for 20+ years. Correct?

I do not have any warts, so I assume that if I have had it for 20+ years, it has not caused issues with my cervix . Is that correct?

I have not seen any warts (on me or DH), so can I assume that I will not get them - that the virus I have is more of the "high-risk" type)?

DH is doctor-phobic...is there a good source of info that I could bookmark for the rare instance that he develops something relating to the HPV (like, if he was one of the rare folks that did develop an issue, I don't think that he would know it)?

I have read (here and elsewhere) that I can give HPV to DH through oral sex. Doesn't he, most likely, already have it?

If I can still give it to him, can I cause mouth/oral issues for him? I assume not, since I don't have any warts...Is that correct?

My GYN said that I will go back every 6 months for a new PAP/HPV test and if I continue to test positive after 2-3 more visits, then we will do a biopsy (I think that is what the next step is. I figured that I'd get through the next couple of visits and then worry about the next step, if necessary). If I test negative, does that mean that I no longer have to worry about DH and oral sex (if I do, in fact, have to worry)?

If I read everything correctly, it sounds like my virus can "re-emerge" (for lack of a better word) and I can test positive again at any time. Is that correct?

Again, from what I have been reading, it sounds like taking vitamins (other the the chewy ones I give my kids!) and reducing stress (or trying to!) can help my immune system fight off the virus. Is that correct (seems like a no-brainer as that would help anyone fight off a virus like a cold, but....)?

Thanks so much for answering any/all of my questions. :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: A number of questions - would appreciate any input!

too many questions!

some points:

the strains that cause warts are not the strains that go on to cause cervical cancer.

if you and your dh have been having sex and oral sex, then yes, mutual infection has no doubt taken place.

oral cancer has been linked to hpv. warts are not the issue. just the virus needs to be present. and this goes for both of you.

eating foods rich in anti-oxidants is supposed to be good for the immune system.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:54 AM   #3
(female)

tiggy44 HB User
Re: A number of questions - would appreciate any input!

Hi I know how you feel... I have learned alot on here and talking to my dr, and reading. I too am diagnosed with high risk hpv, normal paps no cancer cells. I was a nervous wreck, a little better now. Ive learned that once you have it its a sure thing your partner has it, the virus doesnt keep going back and forth between the two of you, dr told me condoms wouldnt matter, as for oral sex, relax like i said once you have it you have it. cant reinfect each other
as far as vitamins, yes take your multi. very important. dont smoke Ha i havent conquered that one yet. Folic Acid, Vitamin A,C,E and i just found out cooked tomatoes. Very good for fighting off cancer cells.
Yes you will go back for another hpv test and if postive still a colposcopy will be scheduled. I am waiting for my results for my biopsy, Going NUTS!!!!
Hang in there . If youve had normal paps like me I have been told thats a plus.
I wish you the best =)

Closed Thread