It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
(male)

Kabigon HB User
Question Possible to get HPV if both partners never had sex/even kissed before?

This question has surfaced my mind for quite a long time. I never really could find an answer for this question. My wife and I are in a monogamous relationship. She was my 1st ever girlfriend/sexual partner and I was hers as well. (we both were virgins and even never had kissed before either -- you could say we were raised up in a strict, traditional nonwestern family). What is the chance of either of us getting HPV if we stay in this relationship forever and remain monogamous? In other words, can we get HPV by nonsexual means if HPV is mainly spreaded through sexual contact--for example, holding hands with a family member who has warts or receiving a kiss on the cheek by an older family member/relative?

Each of us have never had sex with anyone else. So, how else might can one of us get HPV in the future? Or is this not likely? A friend of mine says that everyone "contacts" HPV all the time. It's when they "contract" the disease that's problematic. Then I'm guessing, contraction of the disease occurs when: 1) immune system is compromised or through 2) sexual means? My main concern is that I'm looking for an answer to the likelihood of getting HPV if neither "risk factors" for us are present. With statistics like all women over a certain age in the US will most likely get HPV, it's quite confusing. I think it just has to do with sexual behavior? Or am I mistaken? Thanks.

Last edited by Kabigon; 06-06-2008 at 08:45 PM.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User
Re: Possible to get HPV if both partners never had sex/even kissed before?

There are many different types of hpv. The type you get on your hands or feet is not the same type that you get in your genital area (low risk hpv), or on your cervix (high risk, which can cause abnormal cells). You cannot get the sexually transmitted form from the senarios you described. If you and your wife have never had sex with anyone else or even rubbed your genitals with another persons and genitals you won't get hpv. I do recommend that your wife still goes for annual exams and pap smears though. There are other things that can cause an abnormal pap, although most cell changes are from hpv.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
(female)

mandy14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom22greatkids View Post
There are many different types of hpv. The type you get on your hands or feet is not the same type that you get in your genital area (low risk hpv), or on your cervix (high risk, which can cause abnormal cells). You cannot get the sexually transmitted form from the senarios you described. If you and your wife have never had sex with anyone else or even rubbed your genitals with another persons and genitals you won't get hpv. I do recommend that your wife still goes for annual exams and pap smears though. There are other things that can cause an abnormal pap, although most cell changes are from hpv.
Hi just wanted to clarify one thing about high and low risk HPV. You can have high risk on you cervix and your vulva. I had CIN 3 and VIN 3, both within 4 years, same partner. It can stay in your system, and you can get a negative HPV DNA, but that does not mean it is not present on you vulva which cannot be detected unless you have a biopsy. Sometimes there can be obvious changes on your vulva, but most women dont know. You may get itchy, pain, ulcers. And you may not.
VIN is not easy to treat, it can include Aldara, or excisions, or vulvectomy's. So women need to be aware. Get to know your vulva.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #4
(male)

Kabigon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom22greatkids View Post
Ah thank you. That clarifies and makes much more sense. The statistics I've heard were just compelling ("Almost all women will have HPV at some point"), and I didn't know if scenarios like mine would be accounted or expressed for in HPV data. I've tried to research it, but I couldn't get quite the answer I was looking for.

Last edited by Kabigon; 06-06-2008 at 08:46 PM.

Closed Thread