It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
(male)

tony stark HB User
Question HPV vaccinations only available for certain age range?

Is it illegal for a doctor to prescribe Gardasil to a patient if they are too old?

I am a 32 year old male with HPV and would like to know if my girlfriend could get vaccinated.. she is roughly the same age. (no point in me getting one if I already have HPV) This might keep her from getting infected.

I guess this is an impossible request.
I am hoping that the clinical 9-26 years of age rule doesn't have to exclude
older people from getting this kind of protection.
They say they know the shots can work for older people, too, they just
haven't done any real clinical testing in large numbers to back it up(?)

Anyway,
If Gardasil is prescription-only for that age range, i'm willing to bet this is an impossible request.

thank you for any advice

Last edited by tony stark; 05-26-2008 at 08:19 PM.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: Question about Gardasil/ HPV vaccination & the age range for it.

I don't think it's illegal, just more a matter of being recommended for, and covered by insurance.

If she is willing to pay, she can probably get it (depending on where you live too though, some places are stricter than others).

Chances are though, that unless your gf is a virgin, then she's already been exposed to different strains of HPV.

The doctor she sees about it will have to determine if she is a good candidate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

No reason she can't have it if there's a special reason, like your situation. It's just not routinely recommended for women over 26, because most women who catch it do so in adolescence.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
(male)

tony stark HB User

Yes, i had called the Manufacturer the other day after I posted and they said that they had
undergone studies for older age ranges but that it is irrelevant since they could not say when the drug wiuld be approved for that age range..

Anyhow, they also did say that depending on which doctor, and the patient's conditions, evaluation, etc.. it would be possible to prescribe.

My only remaining question.. How much is the shot (all three sessions) supposed to cost?

Last edited by tony stark; 05-27-2008 at 06:33 PM.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:25 AM   #5
(female)

mandy14 HB User

It was recommended that I have the vaccination, but the Cervarix brand. I'm 40. As the dr explained to me, even though you may be HPV positive, it doesn't necessarily mean you have the strains covered by the vaccination. Or if you have had the strains before and your body has fought them and got rid of them, you still don't build antibodies to them. So you can be reinfected.
I think they still have a long way to go to understand the many strains, and whether we really do ever get rid of it, or if it just lays dormant.
Here in Australia, it costs around $450 for the course of injections if you are over 26.
Hope this helps a little.
Mandy

Closed Thread