It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
(female)

cdownes3 HB User
HPV and delivery of a baby

Can HPV affect how you will deliver a baby? Will the baby be affected by this?

Old 06-13-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
(female)

jenuine86 HB User
Re: HPV and delivery of a baby

depends on the condition you are in.. if you have warts, you can get them removed to avoid the baby getting it.. I've been trying to figure out if the virus infects the baby inside you, but haven't been too successfull with finding the answer.. so far, it looks like no harm is done.. to avoid complications, they can burn warts off before hand or perform c-section.. I'll ask my gyno about it next time I go..I am curious because I would like to have a baby SOMEDAY and I want to know if that is possible to do without passing on the virus..
I'm pretty sure the only thing that can affect the baby is vaginal birth with warts present, but again I'm just not sure..

Last edited by jenuine86; 06-13-2008 at 08:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
(female)

newpatient485 HB User

This probably doesn't totally answer your question, but I know with herpes that you will typically have a c-section if you're having an outbreak but that otherwise the baby is safe - perhaps that would be the same with delivering a baby, but I'm not sure.

Also, I know if you've had LEEP done there's an increased risk of delivering early.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
(female)

jenuine86 HB User

wow.. I was confident before that having a baby would have to be a decision made later in my future and based off whether or not I had the financial and family support for it.. and now I have to think about the risk of either spreading a virus or the increased possibility of birthing complications.. or, if the dysplasia were to advance, the chance that I can't have children at all..

It's probably best not to focus on such negativity.. but it kind of breaks my heart to think about it at all.. I'm so sorry for the women here who have had to experience the above complications in the making of their families. Love to all.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
(female)

rhiannon777 HB User

As far as I know, delivering a baby with HPV isn't a big deal. In general, you can't pass the virus to the baby while it's in your uterus. If your doctor is concerned about the baby catching the virus, she will do a C-section, but I think most women do have the baby vaginally with no problems. Herpes is different, and CAN be a big problem for a baby, so they pretty much always do a C-section if a woman has a herpes outbreak at the time of delivery.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:59 AM   #6
(female)

bluemartini HB User

I'm afraid that even if I wasn't having symptoms or outbreak that I could pass it to my baby....just because my symptoms are so strange anyway...it's just that why take that chance? I am not sure about HPV..I've never heard that it would be dangerous to infect a baby.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
(female)

newpatient485 HB User

Well if you look at the statistics, probably half of women who deliver babies have the virus in their body so I would be REALLY surprised if you could infect the baby with the virus in utero and none of us had heard about it.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:56 AM   #8
(female)

cdownes3 HB User

I spoke with my doctor about this and there is nothing to worry about when delivering.That makes me feel so much better and thanks for all the support!!

Old 06-17-2008, 08:40 AM   #9
(female)

newpatient485 HB User

Thanks for sharing that with all of us. Definitely good to know.

Closed Thread