It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
(female)

emcosker HB User
Dormant in Men

How long can HPV be dormant in men? I have been with someone for 2 years and had 3 PAPs while in this relationship. The third PAP showed abnormal cells. Could it be something else or a mistake?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Dormant in Men

I don't know the answer to your question, I don't know that anyone knows.

I have been with my husband for 16 years. We have both been faithful to each other. So that means I was exposed to high risk HPV at least 16 years ago. My doctor tested me for HPV for the first time in December. It came back hrHPV. Since January, I've learned I have adenocarcinoma Ia1. I am very blessed that my doctors even found my cancer. I am having a hysterectomy next Wed (6/18) as my only treatment for cervical cancer. I will not need chemo or radiation. Cervical is highly treatable/curable if detected early. Mine was, so I have high hopes and expectations of being cancer free for the rest of my life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
(female)

jenuine86 HB User
Re: Dormant in Men

it could have even been the person before him.. there is no true way of knowing unless you've only been with one person in your whole entire life. This virus is just too sneaky that way.. I should hope your doctor is helping you answer all of these questions! ask them for some more information regarding this for better understanding..
There is no way to tell when HPV is active in men except for when he shows symptoms like warts.. other than that, only women are really tested for HPV and can tell if the virus is active through tests and by the cell activity (as well as unwanted warts)
You doctor will be able to tell you if you have HPV by testing.. if you have adnormal cells indicated on your pap, it doesn't necessarily mean you have HPV.. it could be a number of things.. but your doc should be doing further testing if they see rise for concern.
Hope this helps.
I'll cross my fingers for you!

Closed Thread