It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
(female)

davis19 HB User
help!my 19 year old

she got the shot a year ago and what the hell... im so mad now what do we do or can there be anything done doe's this mean she has cancer and will die? this is my only daughter and i dont wont to loss her to this please advice me ..signed a mother with a broken heart.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
(female)

newpatient485 HB User
Re: help!my 19 year old

First things first . . . having HPV does NOT mean your daughter is going to get cancer and it certainly doesn't mean she's going to die!

In fact, it's estimated that 80 percent of women get HPV at some point in their lives by the time they are 50 years old. Also, most women under 30 are able to fight off the virus on their own without medical intervention, so the odds are very much on her side, especially with her young age.

The HPV vaccine protects against four strains of HPV, two high-risk and two low-risk (high-risk can causes changes in the cervix which MIGHT lead to cancer, low-risk can cause genital warts.) There are over 100 strains of HPV, so though your daughter has been protected from those strains, there are still risks of others.

The good thing is that for most women, HPV doesn't cause serious problems, and even if it does, cervical cancer is extremely treatable and slow-moving. It's important that your daughter always get her annual paps and whatever else her doctor recommends, but odds are she's going to be just fine.

I know HPV is scary, but I hope this sets your mind at ease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2008, 09:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Hi Davis! I'm sad to hear about your daughter and can understand your concern. Newpatient has given some great information. There isn't much I can add.

I want to just reinforce that HPV isn't a death sentence. It doesn't guarantee cancer. It means that she needs to be sure she gets her annual exams (annually!) and to make sure she knows what (if anything) the lab reports say and what treatments she has received. She needs to be proactive.

Was your daughter diagnosed with high risk or low risk HPV?

Old 08-02-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
(female)

newpatient485 HB User

Ugh, I just think that the marketing of the vaccine is causing a lot of people a lot of fear and stress. HPV is a serious virus, but some of the commercials make it sound like if your daughters aren't vaccinated they WILL get cancer and they WILL die.

I'm a big supporter of getting the vaccine and people being educated about HPV, but it's frustrating that it's causing so much panic.

Closed Thread