It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
(female)

lcbrady36 HB User
Hpv

If you have the form of HPV that goes away on its own, with no medicine, do you still have the virus and are you still at risk for cervical cancer.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Hpv

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbrady36 View Post
If you have the form of HPV that goes away on its own, with no medicine, do you still have the virus and are you still at risk for cervical cancer.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this (what I bolded in your post).

There are over 100 strains of HPV, more than 20 of those can cause problems in the gentials. Of those, there are two types: high risk and low risk HPV. Low risk HPV can lead to genital warts; high risk HPV can lead to cancer if undetected and/or untreated.

There is some disagreement as to whether the body can get rid of the virus or not. Some researchers say the body can fight it and it won't cause long term damage. Other researchers say that the body can suppress it, but it can come back later. Either way, I believe your body will always retain "memory" (can't think of a better word right now) that you've been exposed to HPV in the past.

Did that answer your question?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
(female)

lcbrady36 HB User

Thank you so much for your quick reply...
I hope this will clear up what I meant in my origal post...
I am just going by the commercial that says "for some poeple HPV goes away on its own but for other cervical cancer may occur" so I wasn't sure what that meant. I had HPV about 5 years ago but it went away on its own and my paps have all come back normal since (i get paps every 6 months). So I was just wondering if I have to continue to worry about cervical cancer or if I had/have a LOW risk and don't need to be overly worried.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

You're welcome, lcbrady. To know for sure what type you had, you can ask your doctor for a copy of that lab report.

I think the "it goes away" falls under what I said in the previous reply. There is disagreement among researchers as to what really happens. :shrugs shoulders:

Have you been retested for HPV?

I hope you don't mind me making a suggestion. If you have high risk HPV, even if your paps are good, ask to be sent for a colposcopy with an ECC. I say this because I was always regular with my paps and they always came back clear. I was tested for HPV and it came back positive for high risk. My doc sent me to a gyno for a colpo and ECC. Colpo looked good; she didn't take any biopsies. "Just to check" she did an ECC. That came back adenocarcinoma in situ, which led to more biopsies which led to a cancer diagnosis and my hysterectomy.

I'm not trying to scare you. I just want to caution you to be sure you know what is going on with your body and to be proactive.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 08-06-2008 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Please do not respond to thread hijacks. Response to deleted post removed.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
(female)

lcbrady36 HB User

Thank you and I will.

Closed Thread