It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
(male)

GOldman1976 HB User
How to get it?

Hello,
My wife was just told by her Dr. that the pap smear that was just taken showed she has HPV. She had a Pap done about 8 months ago and it was normal. This is strange since we both have not been seeing anyone else and she has only one partner (myself) and I have only had 2 partners in the past. Could I have had the virus the whole time and it has taken time for it to show up in my wife? Or can it be contracted by using someone else's towel? Shaking hands with someone who has it and just finished touching their infected areas? Also, we've read that this virus normally goes away on its own. Any idea how long it takes to get rid of?

Any help would be great!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
(female)

beachy25 HB User
Re: How to get it?

helloo
i recently just found out i have hpv and if you read through a lot of the posts there is sooo much information from knowledgeable people that can probably answer any/all of your questions. hpv can lay dormant in your body for any x amount of time, that's why you never really find out where/who you got it from. you get it from skin to skin contact, which is why it's so easily transferred.. it doesn't necessarily get transferred through sex. however, i definitely do not think you can get it through towels or bathrooms or anything like that.. there has to be skin to skin contact. it's just a tricky virus because it can show up anytime after being transferred, or for some people they will never know they have it because there are never any symptoms at all.
hope that kinda helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: How to get it?

Hi Goldman76. I'm glad you came here. Hopefully we can answer some of your questions.

It is becoming common for doctors to offer the HPV test to women over 30, so more and more women older than that are finding out they have/had HPV. High risk HPV can take years and years and years (at least 16 in my case) before its damaged is shown (if the person can't fight off the virus).

Anyone who has had sexual contact with more than one person has likely been exposed to HPV. It is likely you have/had HPV and never knew. There there is no test for men.

There is some disagreement as to what happens to the virus. Some researchers say a person can fight it and then their body retains markers that they've had the virus. Other researchers say the virus can become inactive, but can be reactivated later. I don't know which one to believe.

I hope that helps a bit.

Closed Thread