It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
(female)

jennicada8282 HB User
Unhappy Questions around HPV

Hey everyone,

I have a few questions surrounding HPV. Just a background about my self: about 3 years ago I was diagnosed with low-grade HPV (after a pap test). I went in for colposcopy right away to have it removed without waiting 6 months, as they usually recommend. I went in to my colposcopy doctor about 1.5 years later to see if they've come back, and my Dr. confirmed that I have a clear cervix. Back in Jan i went in for a pap and it came back normal (now for this one I had sex the night before, and totally forgot that I had a pap the next day, so results might have been obscured because of that). A month ago I went in for my 6 months pap and it turns out that I have low-grade HPV again . Now qs:

1. What's the difference between grade and risk? I was diagnosed with low grade HPV but have no signs of warts, but they are present on my cervix. Does that mean I have the high risk??

2. A year ago before I started dating my current boyfriend, I though my body got rid of HPV completely, and I am a little guilty to admit that my current boyfriend and I have been having unprotected sex. He is asymptomatic, meaning no warts. Could he have maybe given me a new strain of HPV?

3. Does having low-grade dysplasia affect sex life (in terms of enjoying sex, discharge, etc.)? I haven't told him about it, and dont feel the need to, even suggested by my doctor that I dont, unless there is a chance of him getting visible symptoms (meaning I carry the strain for the wart causing HPV), but being that it is on my cervix, chances are I have the non-wart causing strain, is that correct?

4. How does having HPV affect future pregnancies??? Also, I wasn't really warned abut the aftermath of colposcopy, so having this done, how this have a negative impact if i'd like to conceive in the future?

Sorry, I seem to have a lot of questions, I hope someone could enlighten me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
(female)

newpatient485 HB User
Re: Questions around HPV

1. "Grade" relates to severity; high and low-risk and different types of strains. So if you have "low grade dysplasia," it means you're having mild effects of high-risk HPV.

Low-risk strains cause warts, while high-risk strains cause changes to your cervix (aka dysplasia), which, in the absolute worst-case scenario, could cause cervical cancer. (It sounds like you have high-risk HPV, which is why you don't have any warts.)

2. Your boyfriend doesn't have warts because it sounds like you two don't have low-risk HPV. Men normally have NO symptoms whatsoever of high-risk HPV (except for very rare cases of anal, penile and throat cancers), and there's no test for high-risk HPV in men. He certainly could have exposed you to a new strain of high-risk HPV, which could have caused your abnormal pap (or it could be the strain you always had coming back; there's no way to know.)

3. I haven't heard of any sexual side effects other than psychological ones (feeling "dirty" or ashamed and not wanting to have sex.)

4. HPV shouldn't affect your ability to conceive unless it advanced all the way to cancer and you had to have a hysterectomy or something like that. Some of the treatments (LEEP, etc.) also have a small risk of causing you to deliver early.

The colposcopy shouldn't affect your fertility. It's basically a really in-depth pelvic exam where they look at your cervix with a special microscope. If they see anything, they might also take some biopsies, which are a little bit uncomfortable but not too painful.

Hope that helps!

Old 08-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Questions around HPV

Newpatient gave you some great information! The only thing I have to add is that the only way I see HPV causing problems with conceiving is if you have a treatment like a LEEP or cone biopsy (if you had higher grade dysplasia and this was the next course of action) and the cervix didn't heal well after that procedure. You aren't at the stage of talking about those treatments, so I wouldn't worry about it. I *would* however suggest you talk about all of those questions with your doctor. I highly recommend you take a written list of questions to your next appointment and write the answers. I know I forget what I want to ask if it isn't written.

Take care!

Closed Thread