It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
(female)

Cathy1974 HB User
Married 8 years, how did I get HPV?

Hi, I have been married 8 years. I just had my yearly exam with my OBGYN and he tested me for HPV it came back positive. My question is this. If it is a sexually transmitted desease and neither myself or my husband has been unfaithful to one another how could I have gotten this desease? It is something that can lay dormant in my body? Or could I have had it for over 8 years? Any answers you have to these questions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Cathy

Old 08-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Married 8 years, how did I get HPV?

Hi Cathy! That is the exact same question my husband and I had when I was diagnosed in January of this year.

The truth is that if someone has had sexual contact with more than one person (over the course of their lifetime), then it is very likely he/she has been exposed to HPV AND is passing it along to each new partner.

There is a HUGE difference between when someone is exposed to HPV (especially high risk HPV) and when someone is diagnosed as having HPV.

My hubby and I have been monoagmous for 16 years, but neither of us were virgins when we met. Who knows how I got it. I *do* know I've had it for at least 16 years. I wasn't tested for it until December of last year.

What does your doctor recommend you do now? How have your paps been?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
(female)

andiesq70 HB User
Re: Married 8 years, how did I get HPV?

Hi ladies, like Pickle Eyes I have been married for over 17 years and diagnosed with HPV last year-----VIN 3. I agree that you should discuss what exactly is going on with your doctor. I have never had a positive pap smear but they noticed changes on the vulva area and the biopsy confirmed HPV. Good luck!

Closed Thread