It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008, 06:59 AM   #1
(female)

teacher06 HB User
hpv

Hello,

I have hpv but my doctor says it is very minor. it is not the kind that gives me warts, just abnormal paps. should i tell my boyfriend? we have been having unprotected sex for about 9 months. also, i asked my doctor if i can pass hpv when i have kids and he said no, is that true?? Is my form of hpv something that can be passed to my boyfriend?? please help.

Thanks

Old 08-17-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: hpv

Do you have high risk or low risk HPV?

Either way, if you and your boyfriend are monogamous, then the two of you have already shared strains of HPV. AND, condoms only give some protection against strains of HPV because it is passed by skin to skin contact, not fluids.

As far as passing the virus along to an unborn child, I've read yes, no, and inconclusive.

If you are talking about low risk HPV which can lead to warts, I don't know much about that other than what I've already said. High risk HPV can lead to cancer if undetected and/or untreated (cervical, vaginal, vulval, penile, anal, oral/throat). High risk HPV doesn't have any outward signs of infection.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
(female)

newpatient485 HB User
Re: hpv

Whether or not you tell him is going to have to be a personal choice.

On the one hand, HPV is very common (it's estimated 80% of women will have it at some point in their lives), and MOST people who have it never know it. It sounds like you have high-risk HPV, which almost never affects men, and there's no test for men, so there's not all much he can really do about it.

On the other hand, if the two of you were to break up, he could pass it to future partners, so he might want to know so he can tell them and make sure they've been vaccinated to reduce their risk.

If you DO decide to tell him, I'd highly recommend having a lot of information ready for him, because in my experience men don't really know too much about HPV, and I'm sure he would have questions.

Closed Thread