It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
(male)

Fredlucas HB User
How long can men carry HPV?

How long can men carry HPV?
My girl friend was tested positive for HPV through a Pap Smear test. Her doctor performed a Collposcopy to make sure that whether her cells are cancerous or not & it it came back negative for cancerous cells.
They didn't tell her what type of HPV she has, and neither her or I had any symptoms or warts or anything at all....I'm wondering that if she has the mild type of HPV, how long can I still carry it?

Last edited by Fredlucas; 08-18-2008 at 11:10 AM.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: How long can men carry HPV?

Hi Fredlucas!

There are 2 types of HPV that can affect the genitals (including anus, penis, mouth/throat): high risk and low risk. Low risk HPV can cause genital warts. High risk can lead to cancer if undetected and/or untreated. High risk HPV has no symptoms, unless the body doesn't clear it and it begins to turn into atypical cells (dysplasia).

Unfortunately, once you have HPV, you have it for life. There is debate as to whether your body can "clear" the virus, or if it can clear it but it can reactive later in life. Researchers do not have a definitive answer. Is someone contagious when the virus is dormant? I don't know.

There is no test to identify HPV in men.

I'm glad your girlfriend went to the gyn and had a colposcopy. She needs to call her doctor's office back to ask what type of HPV she has. It probably says on her pap. She needs to be sure she gets her pap tests as frequently as her doctor recommends. She also needs to make sure her doctor knows (if she changes doctors) that she was HPV positive. One more thing, paps screen for atypical cells, but it doesn't catch all of them. She needs to be vigilant and be her own advocate for good care.

I hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2008, 06:09 AM   #3
(male)

Fredlucas HB User

Thanks for the reply Pickle Eyes, but most of the stuff that you've said I already know, it's just that I would like to know that some types of HPV, your immune system fights it off and get rid of it, it could go up to two years for females…
Now in her case, they didn't tell her what type of HPV she has and I’ve asked her many times and she said that she doesn’t know.....
I don't want to bore you with me story, but also she got tested positive for HSV 2, so I went to the Infection disease doctor, I got tested and I came back negative for herpes.... She’s claiming that she didn't sleep with anyone since we've met which is like more than 3 years ago.... I don't if I can believe her on or not.... Is there a possibility that she could had got the HSV2 before we met, and that she just found out 3 years later...I'm very confused and I want to know if she's lying to me or not!
So here are 2 things I need to know and if you clear my mind I would really appreciate it:
1-In case of mild HPV, how long can I still carry it? Minimum? Maximum?
2-Could she have got the herpes HSV2 before we met 3 years ago and it never showed in her blood tests that she did every year?
Thank you very much for you time.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
(female)

newpatient485 HB User

As far as HSV goes, it's very possible she didn't know she had it. In fact, one if five sexually active people have it, but most don't know it because they've never had an outbreak. Also, a herpes test usually isn't part of the "standard" STD screen, so she could have been getting tested but not for that. For more info, I'd go the herpes board.

As far as how long you can carry HPV, I'm sorry to tell you that there's just no way to know. There's no test for men, so you won't know when/if you've fought of the virus, though most people clear it within two years. Minimums and maximums just aren't known, and you can carry it for a really long time (decades) without showing symtoms and suddenly have them (though this isn't the norm.)

The best I can tell you is to take comfort in the fact that you're not likely to have any adverse effects to your own health. With any future partners though, I would tell them you've been exposed and see if they've been vaccinated, which reduces (but doesn't eliminate) their risk.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

There is no answer as to how long ago your girlfriend/partner was exposed to HPV (or you). It could have been with your first partner, or more recent partners (if applicable). If anyone has sexual contact with more than one partner in his/her lifetime, then he/she has most likely been exposed to HPV.

I was exposed to HPV at least 16 years ago. My husband and I have been monogamous. It is possible my ex-husband exposed me more than 20 years ago. There is no way to know for sure.

Does that answer your question?

Closed Thread