It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
(female)

angel1967 HB User
Hpv by skin contact?

I just found out that I have Hpv and I am devasted! I also read that you can give someone Hpv by skin contact like shaking someone's hand. Is this true? I really hope not because I would be very upset by giving anyone Hpv by only a hand shake! I have a 16 year old son and I really don't want him to get it from me! I don't have a boyfriend now but now I think I probably will never find anyone that will accept me because I have Hpv. Can someone answer my question? Thank you.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User
Re: Hpv by skin contact?

NO WAY! when people say you catch hpv through skin to skin contact this does not include hugs or shaking hands. It means even if you have sex with a condom you can spread it in the genital area or if you have wart of the mouth it may be spread by kissing.

And about you not being able to find a bf, honestly the only reason it maybe hard is because your thinking of it too much. In my opinion HPV is so common that 4 time out of 10 the guy you meet might even already have it and just dont no it. Its way harder to detect the virus in men. Im not saying that you meet a guy and tell him that you two should be a couple because he already might have it, but you should tell him that you have it and let him know how common it is and easy to contract. Remember that Hpv is like a cold once you are infected the virus can lay dormat in your system for months or years or can also show up just a few weeks after being infected. GOOD LUCK in your future. Here's a tip try to strengthen your immune system this helps to fight off the virus.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel1967 View Post
I just found out that I have Hpv and I am devasted! I also read that you can give someone Hpv by skin contact like shaking someone's hand. Is this true? I really hope not because I would be very upset by giving anyone Hpv by only a hand shake! I have a 16 year old son and I really don't want him to get it from me! I don't have a boyfriend now but now I think I probably will never find anyone that will accept me because I have Hpv. Can someone answer my question? Thank you.
Hi Angel!

There are over 100 strains of HPV, over 20 of those can affect the genitals (including anus, penis, mouth/throat). The warts people get on their hands or plantar warts (feet) are caused by HPV, but are different strains of HPV than those that affect the genitals.

Of the 20+ strains that affect the genitals there are high risk and low risk. Low risk HPV can lead to genital warts. High risk HPV can lead to cancer if undetected and/or untreated.

The research I've read (CDC, AMA, etc) say that more than 80% of women have been exposed to HPV by the time they are 50 years old. If that many women have been exposed to HPV, I assume the percentage is comparable in men. Most people can fight high risk HPV so they never develop atypical cells (much less cancer). There is some disagreement among researchers as to whether the virus can reactivate later in life or not.

It is important to know if you are positive for high risk HPV. You need to make sure your doctor keeps an eye on changes to your cervix, vagina, vulva, anus, and/or mouth/throat. Be proactive; get your paps at regular intervals and don't miss any. If you think something is wrong, push for more testing. Learn what you can about worst-case-scenarios so you know what to ask for (as far as testing/screenings).

Knowledge IS power.

Take care of yourself and ask us whatever questions you have. We'll do our best to answer them.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
(female)

angel1967 HB User

Thanks for your help Pickle Eyes and Pink. It was very helpful. I am still depressed about it. Hopefully someday I will find a bf that will accept me just the way that I am even with Hpv. You said how common it is and all. I am just trying to live with it now. Thanks again for your help.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

You are welcome! When I was originally told about my HPV I felt dirty and like a pariah! Things got better. It is only occasionally that I feel that way. I am married, so I'm sure I'd be feeling more like you if I were dating. I've read several women who have told new partners and they are ok with the diagnosis and the fact that they have probably already been exposed to the virus by previous partners. (((hugs))) It is difficult, especially at first.

Take good care of yourself, ok?

Old 08-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
(female)

angel1967 HB User

Thank you so much Pickle Eyes you made me feel better! Take care too!

Closed Thread