It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
(female)

dgw247 HB User
Question hpv, abnormal or normal paps?

If you have hpv is it possible to have a normal pap test and still have cervical complications such cervical cancer?

Old 08-20-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: hpv, abnormal or normal paps?

Yep and I seem to be the poster child for it!

I have had annual paps for 26 years (since I was 19 or so). I've never had a bad pap. I have been in a monogamous relationship for 16+ years.

In December my doctor did the HPV/dna test for the first time when she did my pap. Pap can back good, the HPV came back positive for high risk. I totally wigged out. Instead of waiting 3 months and retesting, she sent me to a gynecologist for a colposcopy. The gyn didn't see anything wrong with my exocervix during the colpo and didn't need to take any biopsies. "Just to check" she did an ECC to sample my endocervical canal. It came back positive for adenocarcinoma in situ. From there she did a cold knife cone biopsy. It came back with questionable margins and adenocarcinoma Ia1. Two months later I had a hysterectomy (cervix and uterus only). I do not need chemo or radiation because the cancer was caught so early.

I am a rare case, but I'm reading more and more women fall into the same pattern as what I've experienced. I think the reason for that is because the HPV/dna test was approved only 4 years ago or so and it is becoming recommended for women over 30. Before that, the doctors didn't know about the cancer until it was a higher stage (and symptomatic).

What can someone do? Learn what they can. Ask detailed questions of their doctor(s). Be proactive: don't miss any paps.

And my personal recommendations (and only because they are the 2 things I attribute to finding my cancer so early) is for women over 30 to ask their doctors to do the HPV/dna test AND if a woman is sent for a colposcopy (and she is positive for high risk HPV) to ask for an ECC at the same time.

I hope that helps. And if you have any questions, please write back. We'll do our best to answer them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
(female)

dgw247 HB User

Thank you so much for answering my question. My real problem is I'm always getting bacterial infections, weird periods,infertility, and a lot of pain in my lower abdomen, I don't know if that is a part of hpv but I have always felt so ,and the more I complain, the doctors tell me it is normal or they cant find anything wrong. I know it is not normal and any information you can give me
on what to ask the doctor would help.Me and my husband want to have kids is there any thing I should know about having kids with hpv. Your wisdom is greatly appreciated

Old 08-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

DGW, if you are repeatedly getting those infections, and your doctor isn't able to help determine the source and provide a treatment, then I'd recommend you look for another doctor. Perhaps someone who specializes in infections.

HPV doesn't cause the symptoms you've described, unless it is late stage cancer and I sincerly doubt that is the case. Have you been regular with your paps?

Last edited by Mod-S4; 08-22-2008 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Response to deleted text removed. Please do not respond to thread hijacks. Thanks.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
(female)

newpatient485 HB User

I agree; get a new doctor! If you KNOW something's not right with your body and your doctor's claim it's nothing, then you need a doctor that will listen to you.

Closed Thread