It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: nairobi, kenya
Posts: 1
blumk HB User
cancer

is there a hpv vaccine that protects against cancer?

 
Old 08-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Pickle Eyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Somewhere In TX, USA
Posts: 3,591
Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: cancer

The Gardasil vaccination protects against 4 strains of HPV that can affect the genitals. It protects against 2 strains of low risk HPV which can cause genital warts and it protects against 2 strains of high risk HPV which can lead to cancer if undetected and/or unchecked.

There are more than 20 strains of HPV that can cause genital problems (including mouth/throat, anus, penis).

Last edited by Pickle Eyes; 08-20-2008 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typo

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-21-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 195
newpatient485 HB User
Re: cancer

I think it's also important to note that HPV doesn't mean you're automatically going to get cancer. In fact in most cases, you won't. I think the marketing of Gardasil has led a lot of people to believe that if you have HPV you WILL get cancer, which just isn't true.

 
Old 08-21-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Pickle Eyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Somewhere In TX, USA
Posts: 3,591
Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: cancer

Yep, to what newpatient said. I think the commericals also lead people to think that the vaccine prevents ALL cervical cancer and that isn't true. The 2 strains of high risk HPV that are in the vaccine cause about 80% of cervical cancer, so the other strains cause the other 20%.

The vaccine helps reduce the chances of the devistation that can happen because of HPV, but it isn't a guarantee.

:waves to new patient:

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Prostate Cancer Stage and Treatment Route jawhik Cancer: Prostate 10 12-01-2010 10:16 AM
Colon Cancer confirmed - Surgery Questions weezee62 Cancer: Colon 3 04-26-2010 11:40 AM
Effectively preserving curative options - Active Surveillance for Prostate Cancer IADT3since2000 Cancer: Prostate 14 12-15-2009 06:24 AM
Ovarian cancer... cupcake80 Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian 2 06-25-2008 11:21 AM
I have a question.... Windyblaze Cancer: Colon 16 10-02-2006 08:59 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Kali333 (12), Switch96 (11), curly fry (3), scared7 (2), tattoogirly (2), aqulit (2), Titchou (2), Pickle Eyes (2), chronicworry (2), jacal5 (1)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1164), MSJayhawk (997), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (832), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (745), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:37 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!