It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008, 08:44 AM   #1
(female)

tiggy44 HB User
hpv question

what are the statistics of high risk hpv turning into cervical cancer? seems to be such a common std that if so many people have it you would think a majority of the population will get cancer???

Old 08-23-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: hpv question

I don't know what the percent is. From what I've read it is a small percent.

I think the reason we are hearing so much about it is because researchers are learning so much more about the virus. That is newsworthy.

The connection between cervical cancer and HPV was found in 1976. HPV testing was approved by the FDA in 2003. Many doctors are only recently (within the last year or so) offering that test to women over 30. Gardasil was approved in 2006.

Because the testing is becoming standard testing for women over 30, I think we will see many more women who are high risk HPV positive. I also think there will be an increase in diagnosis of earlier stages of cervical cancer *because* the doctors will look for it because the patient is high risk positive.

It will appear as those there are more women with cancer (aka a higher incident of cervical cancer), but I think the reality will be the cancer is just detected earlier. And I think that is a good thing.

I anticipate there to be quite a bit of societal-panic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2008, 09:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

I read somewhere that only something like 0.16% of the women who definitely have a cancer-causing strain will actually go on to get cancer. There are many stages between finding out you have a bad strain and ending up with cancer and many things that can be done alone the way before it comes to that. Finding out you have HPV only puts you with the other 80% of women who have (or will get) HPV.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
(female)

shae18 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy44 View Post
what are the statistics of high risk hpv turning into cervical cancer? seems to be such a common std that if so many people have it you would think a majority of the population will get cancer???

If you find out let me know im worried about it because im pregnant and scard i might not get rid of it.i can inform you that i have spoke with alot of people that have had it in pregnancy and it was watch and then it went away but if i was you i would get a biopsy thats what im planning on doing is keeping watch on it

Closed Thread