It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
(female)

paige24 HB User
Atypical cells and previous severe dysplasia

Last year I was diagnosed with HPV and had severe dysplasia. I had a colposcopy and a biopsy and was told it was pre-cancerous. I just got my pap results and my Dr. said that I had a-typical cells on my cervix. My question is what are the odds that I will have to do this all over again?? She told me to come back in 6 months and we would see. I just want to know if because I had severe dysplasia that means it is very likely to come back or could I be fine??

Old 09-04-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Atypical cells and previous severe dysplasia

Since your doctor wants to wait and recheck, then I assume she is thinking you might be able to clear it. However, I didn't know the body can clear atypical cells - maybe I'm uninformed. Anyway, I would think it is a distinct possibility that you might have another colpo and biopsy in the future.

I believe it is far far better to have to have the colpo and biopsy (and ECC, hopefully) so the doctor can identify any dysplasia early than it is to not check and let it develop into cancer. I know the biopsy isn't fun, but I thank God the doctors can check for those things.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
(female)

andiesq70 HB User

Hi Paige,
I to was diagnosed with HPV last year and had severe dysplasia on my vulva area---had to be removed. My 6 month check-up went fine and then at my year exam they found another area (again the vulva area) that had to be removed. Each time sent in for biopsy and pre-cancerous. From my understanding (and I could be wrong) they cannot determine whether or not symptoms/problems will continue to happen or disappear altogether. It is important to try and keep your immune system strong and healthy to fight any infection or disease (excercise, diet, no smoking, keep stress levels low, etc.) Also, I recently read that atypical cells (ASC-US or LSIL) are mild cytologic abnormalities caused by HPV, and they may spontaneously regress. Good luck!

Last edited by andiesq70; 09-06-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
(female)

paige24 HB User

Thank you for taking the time and giving me some advice. It has helped me a lot. I feel bad about this whole situation and am really working on trying to stay positive. It is just so hard when my ex-boyfriend knew he had it and didn't tell me until it was too late. Anyways thank you guys for responding and will keep you updated. It just really helps to be able to do this ya know?? Thank you both again!!

Old 09-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
(female)

andiesq70 HB User

Good luck Paige, stay healthy and strong!!!!

Closed Thread