It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
(female)

catlover55 HB User
Discovered HPV in the rectum area by colonoscopy

I recently went in for a colonoscopy screening and received a telephone call from the gastro md stating that the pathology report came back positive for HPV/wart with dysplagia in the rectum area. I have no idea where it came from as I have never participated in anal sex, so this came out of left field for me and I am still in shock. Not saying I didn't have fun in my younger year's. I am happily married now, but still can't belive that I have to deal with this at this time in my life. I have an appointment with a surgeon tomorrow and do not know what to expect. Has anyone experienced this before? Does this mean I have cancer? Help!

Old 09-07-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Discovered HPV in the rectum area by colonoscopy

The strain of HPV that causes genital warts (and the anus can be considered "genital") do not lead to cancer. HPV is transmitted by skin to skin contact. Since there is skin contact with your anus during vaginal intercourse by the scrotum, it is possible to get HPV there even without anal intercourse.

I hope that makes sense.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
(female)

catlover55 HB User

Makes sense, but I am disturbed by the dysplacia that the md mentioned and the appt to the surgeon. Is this just to remove the wart? He did menton squamous cell dysplacia, but I was in such shock, I don't know if I interpreted this correctly.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey catlover, warts are caused by low risk HPV. Dysplasia (and cancer if undetected/untreated) is caused by high risk HPV. Low risk HPV do not lead to dysplasia or cancer (as far as I understand).

I suggest you ask for a copy of your pathology report and ask some more questions. It is all so confusing at first.

What kind of surgeon are you going to?

Old 09-08-2008, 04:35 AM   #5
(female)

catlover55 HB User

It is a general surgeon. I see him at 2:30 today and will ask for a copy of the report. Will let you know what is said later. Thanks for info. It helps just to communicate concerns.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
(female)

catlover55 HB User

I feel a lot better now after talking to the surgeon. He did say that this was an HPV virus but the abnormal cells were caught early. He said that although this was not cancer it had the potential to develop into cancer if untreated. He stated the gastroenterologist had shaved off the polyps and other spots, but the pathologist said there was no clear margin. He gave me 2 options; one was to do nothing and monitor frequently or have surgery and take out the abnormal cells with a clear margin. I am opting for the surgery and will have next week. The surgeon said it was somewhat like a hemmoroidectomy and would feel like one too. I would rather go through a few weeks of pain than to be thinking about this all the time.

Hopes this helps anyone who has run into this. The surgeon did say that this was quite rare.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #7
(female)

BE 123 HB User

I am glad your doctors caught this early. Did you get an answer to what type, low or high risk hpv? You mentioned polyps which leads me to believe low risk. Better to remove them than not, but rest assured low risk almost never leads to cancer in an immunocompetent person.

Can I ask how far up they were? Would you be able to locate/feel the polyps yourself? (Sorry, kinda gross...)

Old 09-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Catlover, I'm so glad you got some answers. I think I'd do the same thing you are - having that surgery and getting it over with! When is it scheduled?

Old 09-10-2008, 04:34 AM   #9
(female)

catlover55 HB User

I will have the surgery on Tuesday, 9/16. I still haven't gotten the lab results yet although I have asked for a copy (I am sure it is being sent). I did get a call from my internist who said he wanted me to come in after this surgery was done for a full physical and pap smear. I guess he wants to check other areas for this.

I have to say that all of the physicians I have dealt with lately have all been very professional and did not make me feel at all uncomfortable - especially the surgeon and my internist. Will be glad when this is all over with and life life is back to normal. My husband has been by my side the whole way and he seems to be handling this well also.

I forgot to answer about "could I feel them" - no - as a matter of fact, even the surgeon could not feel them upon examination. He did show me pictures (which came from my colonoscopy) and it basically looked like a round flat spot so I doubt if you could feel it anyway. I saw only one in the picture. He said it was in the anal area, muscosa??. Anyway, that's all I have for now. Will post later when I get the results of the pathology report.

Last edited by catlover55; 09-10-2008 at 04:46 AM.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:43 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

A couple of people have focussed on the distinction between high risk and low risk so I just wanted to point out that it is possible to have both types. Just because someone might have an obvious low-risk wart, that doesn't give the all-clear for the high-risk kind. You can only know which strain(s) you have with specific DNA testing.

Since your doctor found dysplasia in the anal mucosa (mucous membrane) there is a concern it could progress to cancer. It doesn't sound as simple as a low-risk wart and your choice to treat it sounds like a good one. I hope everything goes well. good luck.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #11
(female)

catlover55 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Discovered HPV in the rectum area by colonoscopy

Well I am back after having surgery on Tuesday. I don't remember much about the day other than it went fairly quickly and the pain meds pretty much kept me asleep most of the day. Wednesday I wasn't to alert either but felt okay. Thursday morning was the first morning I actually felt somewhat normal, but that lasted only up until I had my first bowl movement after drinking a cup of coffee. It pretty much ruined the rest of my day as I couldn't seem to get the pain under control even with taking pain meds and sitz baths. By late afternoon I was able to sit up and eat and watch some TV without feeling too much pain. Friday was a good day (I didn't have a bowel movement either) and my doctor called and said he had the Labs back with clear margins and felt good about it. He also said he wanted to talk to me about monitoring this on Monday during my first visit back to see him after surgery. Today I was dreading having to go to the bathroom again, but it was nothing compaired to that first time and I felt good today. I even went to a store briefly. Not running a marathon, but okay. I will let you all know what the doctor says on Monday. See ya and stay well!

Old 09-20-2008, 05:47 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm so glad you are doing ok! My first bowel movement after my hyst was VERY painful and scary! It does get better though.

Continue resting. Take good care of yourself! And let us know how Monday goes! (((hugs)))

Old 10-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #13
(female)

catlover55 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post
I'm so glad you are doing ok! My first bowel movement after my hyst was VERY painful and scary! It does get better though.

Continue resting. Take good care of yourself! And let us know how Monday goes! (((hugs)))
Just wanted to login to report the biopsy results I received. This is the quote "Anal intraepithelial, grade I with koilocytosis."

I do believe someone was watching over me as I kept putting off getting a colonoscopy for two years. I encourage all to follow your physician's advice on recommended screenings. I am sure glad I did!

Old 11-16-2009, 05:35 AM   #14
(female)

catlover55 HB User

Hello all, I just want to post again since it has been over a year since I had last posted. I wanted everyone to know that all is well. I had my yearly exam by my surgeon and he said all looked good. I will return again for a recheck in a year and another colonscopy in 2 years. Hopefully this will be the last time I will post on this topic. Stay well everyone!

Old 11-16-2009, 08:17 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User

Thank you for posting catlover! It seems people (myself included) only come to post when we have bad news, so the threads often seem very pessimistic. It's so nice to see one where everything worked out well!

Closed Thread