It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
(female)

confused1970 HB User
abnormal ASCUS pap result

After 17 years of normal pap tests, one I had in July 2008 came back abnormal ASCUS, positive for high risk HPV. I am 37 years old. I feel ashamed, dirty, and humiliated. I was always so careful about who I was intimate with. Three partners my whole life. All were long term relationships. Anyways, had a colposcopy done last week. The doctor found three tiny tiny white spots, her description. She said that was an indication of inflammation due to the virus. She also said she did not see any precancerous cells or dysplasia. Waiting for biosy results.

Just lost and confused.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: abnormal ASCUS pap result

I hope your doctor didn't make you feel that way. And you really shouldn't feel like that. Considering something like 80% of all sexually active people will get it at some point, there is no reason to feel like that. It is so common, it's a shame it's classified as an STD. Anyway, the fact that it was caught early is great, too bad you're in your 30s though, they say if you're under 32, it usually clears on its own (and often goes undetected) so you might never have known you'd had it or felt the way you do. Ironic, isn't it? So pretend you're 27

But seriously, statistics show you will most likely be fine, and I'm sure in time the shock will wear off. Just read up on how common it is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
(female)

Catherine58 HB User

Hi Confused 1970,
My story seems to be the same as yours. For the past 30 years my pap's were normal until 2006, which came back ASC-US. Which means atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance. My doctor wanted me to come back for 3 pap's until I got a neg reading. She never mentioned HPV to me and on my last pap I decided to go to a new doctor and she did a HPV test on me and it came back neg for HPV and finally got a negative on my 3rd pap. So, I thought I was clear and I was safe in having HPV. But I was WRONG!!! I had no insurance since 2006 and finally I have insurance now, I went for my yearly pap and it came back LSIL which means low grade squamouos intraepithrlial lesion. If I could do it again I would of borrowed the money to get regular pap's and maybe I would not be where I am today. I know I had HPV back in 2006, but was misinformed about it. So, my pap has pre-cancerous cells now which has progressed to the next level. I am so thankful it could of been a lot worse for me since I waited 2 years without getting checked!! I know it is so upsetting and I know exactly how you feel. I was with my husband for over 27 yrs and how could this happened to me with being a virgin and having only one partner for all those years. It is so baffling that this can stay dormant in your body all these years. But if you have time read all the messages here on the board and you will quickly learn a lot about HPV. The sad thing about it is that once you are infected with it it does not go away but stays dormant until it becomes active again. Thank goodness that the doctors know that the high risk HPV causes cervical cancer and they can catch it fast before it is to late. Pap tests and HPV tests do save lives. I too cried for days and felt disgusted also but you have to remember that if it is caught early it is treatable!! Anything with pre- behind a word it is a blessing. Also, I was told to eat healthly, excerise, and work on your stress. This really helps your body fight the virus!! I went in and had an Cyrosurgery done the surgery is done to destruct the lesion by freezing it off with liquid nitrogen and my doctor said she only saw one lesion which was great news!! I have to go back for a pap in 6 weeks and hopefully it is negative. I hope this note has helped you. Take care.
Catherine.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
(female)

confused1970 HB User

Thank you for your responses. Both of you have been very helpful.

I am still waiting for the results. I feel as if I am going thru a grieving process. First, shock, second, denial, and now anger. I really don't know if I will ever get to acceptance. As for bargaining, what is there to bargain?!!! I will have this virus for the rest of my life. I just hope that my body fights it off.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused1970 View Post
I am still waiting for the results. I feel as if I am going thru a grieving process.
Confused, that is a very common feeling! I haven't had a lot to add to the topic, the others have given you some good advice. I have been reading this thread, though. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Closed Thread