It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
(female)

Mildred1260 HB User
Visible warts, but pap smear says no HPV?

I had the fleshy looking warts on and around the lips of my private. (I was treated)I haven't been sexually active in years but after the pap smear said that I didn't have HPV. (confused)

Old 09-08-2008, 07:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: question - warts, okay pap?

The pap test doesn't actually test for HPV, it tests for abnormal cells caused by some strains of HPV. Since the strains of HPV that cause warts aren't the kind that can go on to cause cervical cancer, it would make sense that the pap test would not detect any cervical cell changes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
(female)

andiesq70 HB User
Re: question - warts, okay pap?

Hi Mildred, I've had 2 areas cut out on the vulva area-----all my paps have come back clear. HPV doesn't only affect your cervix, it can affect any part of your genital area. Hope that makes sense.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
(female)

andiesq70 HB User
Re: Visible warts, but pap smear says no HPV?

Hi Mildred,
It sounds like your genital area has been infected, did they do a biopsy or test you for HPV? I've had areas removed on the vulva but my paps have always been normal. HPV can lie dormant for years, I was married for 16years and then told I had HPV when I noticed abnormal area (warts removed). Good luck and there is some great information at Center for Disease Control, check it out! Good luck

Last edited by andiesq70; 09-09-2008 at 06:40 AM.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Visible warts, but pap smear says no HPV?

Pap tests do not check for HPV. It is a separate test. Also, there is a difference between low risk HPV (that can cause warts) and high risk HPV (that can cause cancer if undetected/untreated).

I hope that helps.

Closed Thread