It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 06:18 AM   #1
(female)

shana11 HB User
hpv forever?

my daughter had an abnormal pap twice. Had a cone biopsy which came back cin1 mild dyplasia. She has been with one man who she is now married to. The doctor said she has mild hpv which she got from her husband. He corterized the cervix area for the abnormal cells.
My question is. How does her husband stop infecting her if he gave her the virus in the first place?? Is this virus forever in her body?And if shows up again does she have to have another biopsy?

Old 09-11-2008, 06:46 AM   #2
(female)

Catherine58 HB User
Re: hpv forever?

Hi Shanna11,
I have had the same outcome has your daughter. I was told that your husband can not reinfect you. Once you have the virus you have it for the rest of your life. It stays dormant until it becomes active again. I have to go back and have my pap's to get checked to make sure my abnormal cells do not come back. Yes, I would think if there are any abnormal cells that you would have to go back and have it taken care of. This is something that can not be ignored and will have to be checked and be taken care of whatever follow up your doctor tells you to do. HPV the high risk if not treated can turn into cervical cancer. It is sad that we got it from our husbands but this is something that most men do not even know they have. They say 80% of men and woman have HPV and do not even know it. This virus can stay dormant for decades as I was told. It is scarey but the woman that have HPV know what they need to do to stay one step ahead of this by geting regular pap's. My doctor told me to eat heathly, excerise and work on your stress. I am also taking a muli-vitamin (with folic acid). I hope this has helped you. The board is a very informative place to be if you want to get educated on the most common STD which is HPV. Just remember that your daughter is not alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Catherine has given you some great information. Your daughter needs to be sure to ALWAYS keep her appointments for paps since she has had CIN1.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
(male)

falcone HB User

Is this the same for men? I.e. for life.

And can you spread it to your partner when it is dormant? I.e. no warts etc, for years.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

This is true for high risk HPV (the way I understand the current information that the Center for Disease Control gives out). I don't know much about warts, so I can't help you there.

There are over 100 strains of HPV. More than 20 of those effect the genitals (including cervix, uterus, vagina, vulva, anus, penis, throat/mouth). Of those 20+ strains, they are basically divided into 2 catagories, high risk and low risk. Low risk HPV cause genital warts, high risk HPV can lead to cancer (of any of the above mentioned body parts) if undetected and/or unchecked. It is possible to have more than one strain of HPV. It is possible to have high risk and low risk HPV at the same time.

I hope that helps.

Closed Thread