It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
(female)

Bwarr005 HB User
Question When a Dr wants a colposcopy done, does it always mean bad?

I was diagnosed with HPV about almost a month ago. I have been stressing and stressing over it. I really want to end the relationship I am in now but I am scared to be alone because no one will "want to be with me because of the HPV"... so Thats realllllyyy stressing me out.

Anyways, my doc. called after she got the results from my pap and she said she wants to get a colposcopy done. Well my question to you is..
does that always mean something is wrong or that I have cancer if she wants that done?

I am extremely scared because I really want to have children and if I can't have children, I will feel so useless in life and I will probably just loose it.

Please give me some advice.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
(female)

kellis HB User
Re: When a Dr wants a colposcopy done, does it always mean bad?

No...a colposcopy just uses high magnification to see the surface of the cervix and upper vagina! It does not mean you have cancer, but if you had an abnormal pap smear, your doctor is just being cautious by doing this test! You didn't specify whether or not you had any warts or lesions, but that is probably what she will also be looking for because there are various treatments to get rid of warts.

As for relationships, please don't despair because HPV is extremely common and most people that have had sex are already infected with it...they just may not know it! Usually, the infection (warts, etc.) will completely go away on their own. But keep in mind that the actual virus will always be in your body...so it is important to let potential sex partners know this. Just remember than any man you meet who really loves you will accept you as you are and that HPV is not a death sentence....just an annoyance! But, please do get regular pap smears, because some strains can cause cervical cancer!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
(female)

Bwarr005 HB User

Yes, I do have warts but they are not around the vaginal area.. they are around the anus area.. its about 3 or 4. I am using the aldara cream for treatments of the warts.
I actually told the guy who I potentially want to date about the HPV... and I really didnt know how to explain it to him.. I didn't tell him about the warts because I think that sounds disgusting but I did tell him about the HPV and he said that he still thinks I am a sweetheart and it doesnt change who I am. So I really appreciated that.
I just have to wait almost 3 more weeks til I get the colposcopy done so it is tearing my nerves up and making me an emotional wreck because I feel like something may be wrong and prevent me from having children. I am just scared that soon as she looks at my cervix she is gonna say, "that has to come out right now" ... which I tend to over think things but still... It worries me constantly and I just want to cry every time I think about this situation..

Old 09-14-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
(female)

kellis HB User

I had several abnormal paps back in 1994, and they did the colposcopy and biopsy, and it showed mild dysplasia. So, I just forgot about it for a while until my next appointment. Well, after having another pap come back abnormal my doctor suggested a surgery called LEEP. He recommended it because there was just a very small place on my cervix that was pre-cancerous. When he said pre-cancerous, I was scared because I had just met my (now-ex) husband and we were trying to get pregnant. I went ahead and had the LEEP a few weeks after, but my period didn't come so I just figured it was because of the surery. Well, turns out I was pregnant and scared that I might have a miscarriage. The pregnancy went very well, and I had my daughter 8 months later! After several normal pap smears after that, I got pregnant with my son and all went well! LEEP is an excellent choice because it only takes off what is abnormal under the skin. The healing time is only a few weeks (no sex), and the procedure itself is only mildly uncomfortable! Please don't worry. Your doctor can treat you without you ending up infertile as long as you catch things early! I will be here for you anytime you need to talk ok??

Old 09-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

I think it is very rare for a doctor to look at the cervix via colpo and determine there is cancer. The colpo is used to help get a biopsy of the tissue to see what (if anything) (and to what degree something) is going on. The biops/ies might be all that need to happen right now OR the doctor may order another biopsy/treatment (cryotherapy, LEEP, cone biopsy).

To my knowledge, colpos do not diagnose cancer, they can and do diagnose levels of dysplasia.

eta: It looks like Kellis and I were posting at the same time. :waving to Kellis: I'm glad the LEEP worked so well for you!

Last edited by Pickle Eyes; 09-14-2008 at 04:31 PM.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
(female)

rhiannon777 HB User

The reason doctors do pap smears and colposcopies and all those type of things is so that they can catch abnormal cells before they become cervical cancer. If you have abnormal cells, they can be removed (as the previous poster talked about) so that they don't turn into cancer. It takes a long time for HPV to turn into cervical cancer, so as long as you keep up with Pap smears and follow your doctor's recommendations, it's something you probably will never have to worry about. Most women with HPV never develop cervical cancer and they have no problems having children. I can pretty much guarantee you that your doctor isn't going to want to take your cervix out! If it was anything nearly that serious, the doctor would know it already.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #7
(female)

Bwarr005 HB User

Thank you so much for your advice.. to all of you who posted a reply to me. I care about cancer yes, but I am more concerned about having children. I am only 20 years old and I am in college so if something like that were to happen and I couldn't have kids, I think I would be to emotional to move on with school and life for a while... I dream about having kids.. I have always wanted them.. And I am one of those women who would be the greatest mother to her children because I have learned from my mothers mistakes.

I will keep you all updated on what goes on. My col. isn't until Oct 3.. so until then, I will be pulling my hair out because I am very impatient when it comes to medical situations.. I want it done now.. and it doesn't work that way for me!

Old 09-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Having an abnormal pap due to HPV is very common and the next step is automatically the colposcopy. All that does is take a much closer look at the cervix and if necessary, get a sample for biopsy. You're at the very first stage, where most of the time it turns out to be nothing (it goes away on its own).

Try not to stress or imagine 'worst case' scenarios. At your age, the chances of it progressing are very very slim. Good luck.

Closed Thread