It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
(female)

monalynn13 HB User
hpv

I just found out my pap was abnormal, this is a first. I've been married for 31yrs and with my husband for 34yrs. He is my one and only partner. I have known him my whole life from the neighborhood (small neighborhood) he was with one girl before me whom i know and he was her only at that time it. the first for both of them. so how do you get this hpv. I understand he could have gotten it from her and me from him but how did she get it??? I am 100% sure he has not had an affair!

Old 09-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: hpv

Such a great question!

From what I understand it can be transmitted by any skin to skin contact. That means that a person doesn't have to have full genital sexual intercourse to transmit the virus, it could be through other forms of "sex". I won't list all of the ways I can think of, but there is more than one way for it to be transmitted.

Monalynn, what is the next step? What has your doctor recommended, a colposcopy? If so, please ask for an ECC at the same time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2008, 05:07 AM   #3
(female)

andiesq70 HB User

I have not been able to find a direct answer to where HPV originates if no sexual contact has been made. It is a virus and therefore those characteristics may help you understand a little more about it. It's all quite confusing sometimes and some questions I have had are answered vaguely, inconclusive, or no answer. But, I know there are different cases that occur and my GYN RN has shared a few stories with me. One of them was regarding this couple who found out she was HPV positive and they were in an uproar because they swore neither of them have ever had sex. They insisted they have only had sexual contact (touching) with eachother. The nurse said they assumed that he probably carried the virus on his penis. Now I'm not sure if that rules out her having it on her skin but like most information says HPV is spread through sexual contact (skin to skin) and does not say anything about where it comes from if no sexual contact, so then I would say go back to the virus idea. I hope this helps and doesn't make you more confused.

Last edited by andiesq70; 09-17-2008 at 05:10 AM.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
(female)

monalynn13 HB User

thank you for responding. I have had the col... that is when i found out about hpv, they didn't tell me about it before they just said my pap smear was abnormal and that i needed a col.. done. so when i went in to have this done i asked what was abnormal and explain what it mean't. that is when they told me i had hpv and it was high risk. (I have had a complete hysterectomy). So i don't know what that other test you said to ask for is and if it is needed in my case.
Back to the sex thing. I do understand it is a virus that is from skin to skin my doctor didn't say this but after reading info i learned it. But again My husband had only one and he was my only one. nobody else even skin to skin. unless your talking hands and normal body parts like maybe kissing no one else in the genital areas. and i am sure this very young girl didn't either at the time. so surely it has to start somewhere. Where????

Old 09-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
(female)

monalynn13 HB User

Thank You Andiesq70
I know it is a virus and i can live with that answer it just seems if it is this easy to get shouldnt know a lot more about it. If i can get it in my situation then in today's world every girl is at risk. Except the very few who stay pure and find the mate that stays pure.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
(female)

andiesq70 HB User

Hi Mona, I totally agree with you and don't understand where it starts if there is no sexual contact. I don't like the virus theory much either but it's all I can base it off of. I believe 80% of woman get HPV sometime in their lives, most are able to fight it off-----we are just the lucky few (NOT!!!). They say it is very common but that doesn't help me feel better either! I only personally know 1 other woman who was diagnosed with HPV. Every young girl is at risk with the lack of information or discussions about HPV (most have only heard about the vaccine and nothing else) it is troubling. With HPV said to be so 'common' you would think they'd have some concrete answers but the more I research the more it seems like there is the basic information but no real detailed info. Just to let you know my situation, I am 38 years old, married over 17 years and had warts. I went in to have them cut out and biopsied to find out I have HPV. 6 month follow up appointment pap and acid test done on vulva area (vinegar solution) and no abnormal areas found, 6 months later another pap and more acid test revealing abnormal area (turns white)---had to be cut out. Along the road found out VIN III, paps have always come back normal. So onto Oncologist soon for evaluation and more information. Now with that said my HPV has affected the vulva area and my doctor shared another story with me that involved a lady who had been married for 50 years (her one and only partner) and had found out she had HPV. He had died some years before and now she had vulva cancer, had to have a large area cut out and reconstructed. Not to scare anybody but there are so many different scenarios and I'm sure these are rare cases but I hope they will find some real answers to many of the questions that are left unanswered. Sorry for such of a long message but I do wish you luck! By the way what did they conclude from the colposcopy?

Last edited by andiesq70; 09-17-2008 at 01:50 PM.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:56 PM   #7
(female)

monalynn13 HB User

hey andiesq ,
well i had the vinegar solution and no abnormal cells so i go back in six months. Did you try vitiamins to help fight off hpv i read that somewhere and by the way i am soon to be 49yr next month. this was a big supprise never had an abnormal pap and i go regular because i am on those crazy homone pills, so even that scares me. i have lots of friends who believe those pills promote cancer but i tried to go without and i became another person. someone no one wants to be around not even me.
Thanks for talking

Old 09-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Monalynn, the ECC is a scraping of the cervical canal. If you still have a cervix, then talk with your doctor about it. If you don't have a cervix, then they can't do that test.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
(female)

andiesq70 HB User

Hey Mona,
It was recommended so I am now taking vitamins (with folic acid), trying to excercise regularly, eat better and try to keep stress levels low (don't ever think I'm real stressed, try to go with the flow.) I've heard that about hormone pills and cancer but isn't it very rare (?), but like you said some women need them to keep sane and feeling better. What does the doctor plan for you now, what treatments? Have a good one!

Last edited by andiesq70; 09-18-2008 at 06:44 PM.

Closed Thread