It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
(female)

paige24 HB User
How do I prevent passing my high risk HPV on to new people I am with??

I would like to know all I can about preventing spreading my high risk HPV? I have either types 16 or 18 and not the strand that causes gentital warts but what can I do to make sure that I don't pass this along? I just met someone and I want to make sure that I don't give this to him. What can I do?? I want to make sure I am doing everything that I can to help prevent this from being passed on. Please help and I would love as much information on passing high risk HPV that you have. Thank you all so much, this has really been helping me get through this whole ordeal.

Last edited by paige24; 09-17-2008 at 12:57 PM.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
(female)

angel1967 HB User
Re: How do I prevent passing my high risk HPV on to new people I am with??

I am also in a new relationship. I just met a guy that I care alot about. So I finally called my doctor and the good news is that you absolutely can't spread HPV by shaking hands or by kissing! That was such a relief to me. We haven't kissed yet but maybe soon. Plus most guys don't know if they have it since there isn't no test for them. You can only spread it through sexual contact. Condoms should help prevent it but probably not 100%. He also said that there are so many stages of HPV that it takes many years to develop into cancer if it even does. I hope this helps alot of people including you. He also told me not too worry to much about it that he has it all under control. I will also find out soon if I am low or high risk. I never had warts either. Well take care ok.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

The only way to prevent spreading (high risk or low risk) HPV is to not have any sexual contact. Once there is sexual contact, there is a chance of spreading HPV.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
(female)

angel1967 HB User

Hi pickleeyes my doctor just told me that I have high risk HPV. I am really bummed about this but now I know. He said I should be honest and tell the guy before anything happens and I agree but I am so afraid that he will have nothing to do with me anymore! My doctor says you will be surprised about how many people will accept this. I was just thinking yea right you know? I guess I will just have to wait and see. My doctor says you should wait to have sex with someone only if you tend to marry him. I thought ok. So anyway now I know. Thanks for your advice. I know this guy really likes me and I really like him too. I will just have to wait and see what happens.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I've ready several cases of women who have told their current partner (or a potential partner) about HPV. I've never read about one running away. Anyway, I see it this way, if the guy doesn't accept this about you then it is better to know earlier rather than later. You know?

Old 09-17-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
(female)

angel1967 HB User

Thanks for the advice and I can only hope that he will accept me with this. Hopefully he will like me enough that he will. I just don't know when to tell him though because we just met you know. I want to wait to see if we will be serious or not. You know be in a relationship first. What do you think? My doctor says to wait to see if we will have a relationship or not.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:46 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Personally, I don't know that I would "make" time to tell him, I'd tell him when the conversation works it way around to "here are a few things you need to know about me" type of thing.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
(female)

cheergirle01 HB User

I have the same problems too. The only thing you can do is ALWAYS use protection. My boyfriend is always freaking out just keep in mind, oral sex isn't the way to go cause that is now the number one leading mouth cancer for guys believe or not. If you have to make and excuse just say you don't like it. It hurts me a lot to have sex. I don't know what type i have but i know i don't get warts. Just make sure to use protection and if you meet a guy i know it's gonna be hard to tell him but you should. When i told my boyfriend i have it he freaked out and told me he was gonna sue me. Also that he wouldn't have dated me if he would've known. So it really goes both ways. Just always use protection and make sure you get the girls sensation....

Old 09-19-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Condoms do not give full protection against HPV transmission. HPV is transmitted by skin to skin contact and a condom doesn't cover all of the skin that is in contact during intercourse. They offer some protection, but are not a guarantee.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:13 AM   #10
(female)

paige24 HB User

Yeah the guy I am with now was actually really cool about it. He is understanding and is totally there for me, so I am taking as I got lucky. I def have had one guy totally freak out and now he doesn't even talk to me, even though I told him before anything happened between us. I don't know it is just so hard and sometimes I feel so down about it. This has been the first place that I feel better about talking about it. So thank you all for being here and responding to me. It really has helped, so thank you again.

Last edited by paige24; 09-20-2008 at 12:14 AM.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User

Wait a minute, I thought HPV can be passed via skin to skin contact and sex doesn't need to take place, contrary to what people are posting here. I read that HPV can be on the skin (like the upper leg) and be passed to another person. If this is true, does that mean the person would have warts on his/her leg to pass it via skin to skin contact, or would HPV not be visible to the eye.

In addition, I read that oral cancer in men has increased 25% due to transmission of HPV-16. I also read that 25% of U.S. single women haven't been sexually active for at least five years due to fear of catching something. I can attest to that, because many older single women I speak to tell me they haven't had sex for at least 5 years for this reason.

I think the doc's advice regarding waiting for a marriage partner before considering having sex is wise with all the health concerns we face today.

Last edited by jacal5; 09-20-2008 at 04:33 PM.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

In addition, I read that oral cancer in men has increased 25% due to transmission of HPV-16. I also read that 25% of U.S. single women haven't been sexually active for at least five years due to fear of catching something. I can attest to that, because many older single women I speak to tell me they haven't had sex for at least 5 years for this reason.
[/QUOTE]

HPV *is* transmitted by skin to skin contact. There are over 100 strains of HPV. Only 20+ of those effect the genitals (including anus and/or mouth/throat). I've read of high risk HPV being found under fingernails, but I only read that one place.

I don't think thigh skin (or arm skin, or tummy skin) is what transmits the HPV, but genital skin (including anus, mouth, and perhaps fingers).

There are two major types of HPV that effect the genitals (out of those 20+ out of 100+ strains). Low risk and high risk. Low risk HPV cause genital warts (seen or unseen). High risk HPV can lead to cancer if undetected and/or untreated. Low risk doesn't cause cancer. High risk doesn't cause warts. It *IS* possible to have more than one strain of HPV at a time or several types of high risk and/or low risk.

I hope that helps clarify everything. If not, the Center for Disease Control has a LOT of information about HPV which can help clarifiy any questions.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:06 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the detailed explanation. HPV is more complex than I originally thought. I wanted to be more educated about it because several friends have asked me questions regarding HPV which I have been unable to answer, most are fearful of their teenage children getting infected.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:26 AM   #14
(female)

andiesq70 HB User

Jacal5, you are right in saying HPV is complex-----there seems to be so many questions unanswered! I had been told by a health care professional that HPV can be on the skin of the upper thigh also. It's very frustrating that you hear HPV is so "common" but it is hard to always find concrete answers plus health care professionals don't always seem to be educated on the subject either. I have a teenage daughter and understand how your friends feel, I talk with her about it-----although it is generally the basics but she's seen what I 've had to go through so is well aware of affects.

Last edited by andiesq70; 09-22-2008 at 05:29 AM.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ansdiesq70, I am really shocked to read these posts regarding HPV, I had no idea there were so many strains lumped into low-risk, high risk categories, no tests for men, no symptoms of high risk strains (like warts for the low risk).

At first I objected to state mandatory vaccines, but after reading some of these posts and the devastation HPV is causing to these young women (and all women who posted with HPV)), I think if I had a teenage daughter I would have her vaccinated (even though Gardasil doesn't protect against all strains).

I don't think most people have any idea how serious HPV is for women, and I would bet a large majority of men don't know they at risk for oral cancer from HPV-16. I haven't heard it mentioned even once in the media that men are at risk.

I have a problem with my Mom, she is 79 years old and has been diagnosed with h-pylori (stomach infection). She was given antibiotics, got retested (at my urging, her doc didn't even want to retest to see if it went away!) and it turns out she still has it. Mom has a boyfriend, and I was thinking if he has h-pylori also, he could be reinfecting her (I read it can be transferred from sex, kissing (even kissing a cat who is infected!), etc. I told Mom her boyfriend should be tested also, and if he has it, they should both be treated.
She looked dejected when I told her that, she has been suffering with gastritis symptoms for over a year now, and was diagnosed with h-pylori in July.

I'm so happy to be single with no boyfriend!

Closed Thread