It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
(female)

suzanfts HB User
Hpv

I have been with the same man for three years but just found out I have HPV. Does this mean he has cheated?

Old 09-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: Hpv

Nope. There is no way of knowing how long you've carried the virus before it showed up on your pap. Good luck with the hpv.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

I second what Thisby said. It is possible for you to be exposed to HPV at your first sexual contact. The test for HPV was only approved 4 or 5 years ago. Doctors are just now (in the last year or so) beginning to use it more frequently.

If neither of you was a virgin when you first had intercourse together, then either one of you could have brought it to the relationship. It has just been identified. It doesn't mean you were recently exposed, just recently diagnosed.

Last edited by Pickle Eyes; 09-19-2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: added last 2 sentences

Old 09-19-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
(female)

suzanfts HB User
Question Re: Hpv

OK. Then I don't understand why I am diagnosed now, with 'high risk' HPV but the doctor expects it to resolve within the next six months?? How would I carry it so long with no resolution?

Old 09-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

You are asking the best question! I have no clue.

I have been with my husband for 16 years and we have been monogamous. I was recently diagnosed with high risk HPV. BUT, that was the first time my doctors have ever run the HPV test. Why?

The HPV/dna test was only approved 4 years ago for use on women. Only in the last year or two have doctors begun using it on a regular basis. That's why *I* was only recently diagnosed.

There is no approved test to detect HPV in men.

Researchers say that most women under 30 are able to fight off the virus (so it doesn't continue to cause problems, unless it is reactivated later in life). Women over 30 aren't as able to fight it, so the virus can lead to dysplasia, etc.

Women under 30 who have been diagnosed with HPV are usually watched and rechecked every 6 months or so to see if the test comes back negative. If it doesn't (and I don't know over what time period), then the woman will then be sent forl further testing (like a colposcopy, etc).

I hope that helps.

Closed Thread