It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

flysouth HB User
HVP - affects on men

A woman I have recently met and care a great deal for has HPV with no cancerous or abnormal affects. She was married for quite some time and only found out about the condition a couple of years ago after learning that her husband at that time, was bi-sexual. She is very reluctant to enter into a new relationship and is concerned that she would infect a new partner.

Please tell me, what is the worst that can happen to me if we engage in intercourse and how can I put her mind at ease that I am not at risk?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: HVP - affects on men

Are you sure you want to know what the worst thing is? Worst case scenario with low risk HPV is genital warts (including anal and/or oral). Worst case scenario with high risk HPV is cancer (any genitalia including anal and/or oral). That is true for men or women.

The good news for men is that they rarely get cancer from HPV. The bad news is most men have been exposed to it, but don't know. Because they don't know they are spreading it to new partners (who are also sharing their strains of HPV with them). Most people don't know their HPV status. Why? The test for women was approved only 4 or 5 years ago and many doctors are just recently (in the last year or so) beginning to use it with women over 30. What about men? There is no FDA approved test for HPV for use with men.

How can you put her mind (and yours) at ease? Data shows that more than 80% of women have been exposed to HPV at some point in their lives, by the time they are 50. I think those statistics were published before the HPV test was approved. I suspect the percentages are significantly higher. More good news, most people are able to fight the virus and make it inactive (can't think of a better word) and it doesn't cause future problems. There are the unlucky ones (like me) who were not able to fight the virus so the virus started causing abnormal cells (which grew into cervical cancer). It is possible that HPV can be reactivated later in life. It is also possible (and very likely) for someone to have more than one strain of HPV.

Because HPV is transmitted by sexual contact it is considered an STD. Anyone who has had sexual contact (not just intercourse) with more than one person in his/her lifetime is likely to be exposed to HPV.

There is so much to learn about HPV. There is also a growing body of knowledge about the virus because scientists are developing better tests and procedures to deal with HPV. A great place to start learning about HPV is to read the information at the Center for Disease Control.

I hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread