It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
(female)

Aherrera027 HB User
HPV positive spouse

I recently foud out my spouse has HPV. I founf a wart on his penis and we decided to puspone all intercourse till the exam was done and results arrive. He tested positive for HPV and had it surgically removed.
Soon after i had a papsmear and blood test that came back negative for HPV.

Does removing the wart mean the virus is gone?

Could he have gotten the wart from before are marrige and it just show up now? We have been married for (9 years and we found it 2 months ago?)

Does my clear pap mean i don't have the virus or it is just dormant?

Old 10-04-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: HPV positive spouse

There are many different strains of HPV - some cause warts, some cause other kinds of cell changes (like cervical cell changes). The strains of HPV that cause genital warts are not the kind that cause cervical cell changes, so even if you already have what he has, it wouldn't necessarily show up on a PAP test. I assume the blood test was specifically for HPV? A clear pap means that if you have HPV, it is not currently causing any cell changes to your cervix.

All the literature I've read about genital warts say that it usually shows up around 2 to 8 weeks after exposure. I've only read about the cervical strains being dormant and showing up to cause problems later. Maybe they just haven't done any studies on it. I hate to say it, but personally I would find it hard to believe that if he's had it for all this time, that you wouldn't have gotten it by now, for it to show up in the blood test.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
(female)

andiesq70 HB User

Hi Aherrera, if you go to the CDC you will find additional information on HPV and according to them you can get warts weeks or months after coming in contact with an infected person. I have now been married over 17 years (monogamous) and found out last year (Sept) I had HPV----I had warts and believe they started the year before but were not noticed during my annual pap because the PA did not check vulva area. I've never had an abnormal pap but found out from biopsy that I have VIN III. Anyhow, my Gyn had told me that HPV can lie dormant and poor immune system (due to stress, etc.) can cause changes/HPV to 'come out' (whether it is in the cervix, or genital areas/warts) at any time. My husband has never had warts. There are many different scenarios and I just wanted to share mine. I agree with Thisby there is not enough studies or information! We did not play the blame game, if that would have happened I would have looked like the guilty party and I know I've never had any sex with anybody but my husband since before we were married, so be careful in making assumptions.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

I don't have anything to add that these two ladies haven't already said except to say ((((hugs))))

Old 10-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Drafly HB User

I am discouraged to see so many people posting about HPV not showing up in a blood test. There is no blood test for HPV! Not in the clinical sense of a physician drawing a tube of blood and sending it off to the lab. Diagnosis of HPV requires a specific laboratory test to be done on the actual suspicious tissue which is removed. It is NOT blood born. like hepatitis or AIDS. Because viruses utilize our own cells to reproduce they remain undetected until they produce symptoms. Many people also post about cervical HPV as though it is specific to the cervix, it isn't. The same strains, usually 16 and 18 which are found predominantly to progress to cervical cancer, those same strains and others such as 31.33.35 and 38 can also produce cancerous changes to ANY area of the genitcal tract including the vagina, vulva, perianal region, anus and rectum. And just because you have a lesion removed doesn't mean you've erradicated the virus. The virus lives on in your cells to rear their ugly head at ANY time. Too many physicians are ill informed and often have no clue even when looking directly at an HPV vulvar lesion that you even have anything wrong with you. I had three active lesions and had to change GYN's because my prior doctor had died. The new doc checked me out and said, well you look find to me. I said thank you, left the office and never returned. He obviously was clueless. This disease requires constant vigilence of the person who has it and the ability to confront a doctor if you feel he is giving you erroneous information. If it was not for my speaking up against a surgeon two years ago, I would have a colostomy right now. His inexperience (which their ego prevents them from even acknowledging) and that of many other doctors can literally kill you. Be proactive and don't be afraid to change doctors if you are uncomfortable with the one you have.

Closed Thread