It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
(female)

LynneVi HB User
HPV and Vaginal (not cervical) Squamous Cell Atypia

Vaginal Squamous Cell Atypia
I am a 48 year old woman who had a complete hysterectomy in Dec 06 for fibroids. I had never had a abnormal PAP until last month. Initially, I didn't even think I needed a PAP (no more cervix) but I was informed that PAPS were still necessary. My PAP came back HPV high risk and Atypical Squamous Cells of undetermined significance present. I had to have a colposcopy and biopsy (apparently the solution they paint you with showed something). The biopsy confirmed a mild squamous atypia, not diagnostic for intraepithelial neoplasia. My doctor wants to do a laser procedure under anesthesia and then have me come back every three months for Paps. I have heard of other women just being "watched" and when I asked why that wasn't an option, was told because the abnormality is on my vagina that is unusual and should be dealt with sooner rather than later. Now I'm worried about how to proceed with this. Is it possible that the laser will cause more problems or abnormality? I also have another major health issue (HCV) that I was just about to begin treatment for and now it seems I have to wait. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: HPV and Vaginal (not cervical) Squamous Cell Atypia

From what I've read (here and on another forum), vaginal dysplasia/atypical cells are treated rather than wait-and-see. So that seems standard.

I wish I could offer more advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
(female)

andiesq70 HB User

Hi LynneVi, I have a similar problem but mine my dysplasia/abnormal cells are in my vulva area. Yes, you should have treatments done as soon as possible to get rid of the abnormal cells! I've had the acid test (a vinegar solution) done three times now, twice I had areas that turned white indicating abnormal cells. My doctor was a little more aggressive and cut them out with a scalpel and stitched them up. The laser should not cause more abnormalities or problems, it is going to help prevent the abnormal cells from reaching into further layers of tissue-----you do not want that to happen! I know this isn't easy and wish I could say that once they do this that no abnormal cells will be found again, however it is hard to predict. Initially I had warts removed (colposcopy) and biopsy sent in revealing HPV, 2nd colpo and acid test nothing found, 3rd colpo and acid test another abnormal area (near where the 1st one was). Now going to an Oncologist this month for further evaluation and treatment is necessary. Also I've never had an abnormal pap. Best wishes and let us know how you are doing!

Old 10-12-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Drafly HB User

Lynne. Having had HPV affect everything including the cervix, vagina, vulva, perianal and anal are and now rectum I am confused by your doctors talking about a laser procedure. The numerous folds of the vagina make it very difficult to do laser here and in my experence a chemotherapy cream such as 5-FU (fluorouracil) is able to reach all surface area within the vagina. I would suggest asking your doctor about this option.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
(female)

LynneVi HB User

Hi Ladies,

Thank you all for your info..After talking to the pathologist and a gynecological oncologist office, I opted for the laser treatment. They both said it was recommended protocol..considering my age and family history. Although the doctor said it wasn't pre-cancer..why wait until it became that or worse! Better to play it safe. I had the procedure today and other than feeling a little tired..I don't seem to have any real pain. I'm supposed to follow-up with my doc in two weeks, so I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again and hope everyone is well. God Bless!
Lynne

Old 10-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Lynne, thanks for checking in and letting us know how you are doing! It sounds like everything went well. Be sure to take it easy and don't try to do too much too fast. You need to allow your body time to heal.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
(female)

andiesq70 HB User

Glad to hear you are doing well Lynne! I'm glad to hear your procedure is over and went o.k. Keep us posted and take care......Andrea

Closed Thread