It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
(female)

cinsing HB User
genital warts - latency period

I have recently found out I have HPV genital warts - negative to the cancer causing kind HPV and other STD. Monogomous relationship for over 25 years . . . going into menopause - perhaps hormonal changes triggered the wart . . . but previous paps clear / no sign of warts - years before had shingles (that stress didn't bring on warts) - - - question is how long could I have had this?????? OR does this mean my husband must have had other relationships and passed along to me in the past year or so??????

Old 10-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
(female)

andiesq70 HB User
Re: genital warts - latency period

Hi cinsing, I had found out I had genital warts after being married for 16 years (monogamous relationship). So obviously like you I had HPV form 16 years or more without any signs or symptoms. Since there is no way to find out when exactly I got it I cannot say if it was before I was married or not. I've always had normal paps but with the biopsy of warts, they determined I had VIN III, severe dysplasia on the vulva area-------not to say that always happens but just be vigilant about regular exams. They did the acid (vinegar solution) test on my 3 times now and 2 of the times abnormal cells, they removed them and biopsied. So it can be weeks, months or years before HPV can show up. My husband has never had warts. I don't think hormone changes would bring the warts on but any if the immune system is weakened that is prime time for HPV to 'come out'. Hope this helped.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2008, 10:23 PM   #3
(female)

cinsing HB User

Wow! Scary . . . thanks so much for taking the time to write me a note. I will go back and ask my Dr. about this (AND stay on top of it in the future . . . ) I NEVER dreamed this would be something I would have to worrry about(!!!)

Old 10-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #4
(female)

andiesq70 HB User

Did they remove biopsy the area? I didn't want to scare you, just wanted to let you know what my story was and to be careful.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:16 AM   #5
(female)

cinsing HB User

I just called and spoke to my Dr. - she said she did not do a biopsy because the vulva area looked normal. (I "think" that is sort of the bottom line- I read her your note / comments and explained why I was concerned . . . she DID run tests on everything else and all was normal EXCEPT for having these AWFUL warts (3) which she cut out. She said my next visit should be in one year for another pap smear - UNLESS I see or (feel?) more warts or witness any changes "down under ". I WILL be doing some regular visual investigation on my own now - which I had never done before!!!! I appreciate your comments though - VERY much!

Old 10-15-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
(female)

andiesq70 HB User

Glad you will keep an eye on it, literally and firguratively but if more warts do appear I would request a biopsy. The vulva area can look normal to the eye, but with colpscopy and acid (vineagar solution) test it may reveal abnormal cells/dysplasia. I check mine also, which I would never imagine doing before and it looks normal but tests had reavealed differently. Not to say there is anything going on with you but just make sure you are getting the care you need! Good luck!

Closed Thread