It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
(female)

donna dee HB User
HPV Inquiry

I just had a routine gyn exam, and I was told I had an irregular pap. I was told to wait 3 months and have another pap. I was also told that I was HPV positive, and that was the largest cause of irregular paps. I have had irregular paps in the past. Maybe every 4-5 yrs. I would have an irr. pap which would be followed up with a culposcopy and cryo-surgery. I would then go on to have regular paps for another 4-5 years, and so on.
I am 58 years old, married twice, and I am "blown away" with this recent discovery. I've used 3 gynocologists during my adult life, and this is the first one who asked me to wait 3 months before doing anything. After reading about HPV online, am I doing the right thing? Should I be more proactive?
How at risk am I for cervical cancer?
When I spoke to the nurse at my Dr"s ofc. she said that as long as I have regular paps(maybe even closer than 1 yr), I would be doing the right thing.
I would be interested in any comments.
Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: HPV Inquiry

Hi Donna Dee. Is this the first time they check for HPV? or were you tested before? Because of my own experience, I encourage you to ask your doctor to move forward with the colposcopy and ask for an ECC (endocervical curettage) at the same time. The colpo (and pap) only look at the exocervix (which is 1/3 of the cervix). The ECC scrapes the upper 2/3 of the cervix where a different type of atypical cell (glandular cells) can be growing.

If you haven't asked, please request copies of your pathology reports. Especially your more recent ones (past several years).

Wait and recheck is a common treatment plan for HPV, but since you are over 30, I recommend the push for the colpo and ECC especially since you have gone back and forth with abnormal paps in the past.

I hope that helps. Write back if you have any other questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread