It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
(female)

jessie8685 HB User
Lsil result after clean colposcopy result... very scared

Hi everyone. I am new to the boards. I am 37 years old and last January I had my first abnormal pap smear which was LSIL. In April I had a Colposcopy which came back normal. I went for my 6 month follow up a few weeks ago which has come back LSIL again. The doctor wants to do another Colposcopy. He said there is definitely something going on. He said this could mean that it could be worse then they thought. I am so scared that I have cancer. Has anyone had this type of experiance? I would really appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Lsil result after clean colposcopy result... very scared

Hi Jessie.

I know this isn't anything anyone wants to be told, but it is good that your doctor told you to come back and that you went. The earlier cervical problems are detected and treated the better it is.

Do you know if your doctor did an ECC (endocervical curettage) when he/she did your last colposcopy? If not, ask him/her if it can be done on your next colpo. The ECC checks the cervical canal for atypical cell growth. It is the only non-surgical way to check the canal.

If you have any questions, please ask.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
(female)

jessie8685 HB User

Pickle Eyes thank you for replying. I did not have the ECC done. I will ask my doctor to do that. Do you have any idea what it could mean to have a colposcopy with negative result and then have another pap with LSIL still there?
I am just so confused and I have searched and searched for answers on the web but I cant find any to this particular question.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

It is possible that there was something there at the colpo, but it wasn't detectable. OR it is possible that the cells that are showing up on the pap are coming from further up in the cervix. The latter is the reason I suggest you ask about an ECC. It scrapes the cervical os (canal) for atypical cells. It is the only non-surgical way to determine atypia in the canal. It hurts. But it is worth going through to know how the canal is doing.

I went to the gyno for a colposcopy because I was positive for high risk HPV, but had never had a bad pap in my life (and I've gone every year since I was 19 - I just turned 45). The colpo looked good, but "just to check" the doctor did the ECC. It came back adenocarcinoma in situ (AIS). If she hadn't done that, my cancer would still be in me, growing. My gyn/onc said that within 1 year I would be symptomatic and be at a stage 2 cancer (with a radical hyst, chemo and/or radiation). BUT, since the gyno did the ECC, we knew about the precancerous cells and did a cold knife cone biopsy. Because the doctor did a CKC, she found the cancer. Because she found the cancer I was diagnosed as adenocarcinoma Ia1. The "only" treatment I had to have was a hyst to remove my cervix and uterus. I got to keep my ovaries and I don't need chemo or radiation.

So, I sing the praises of the ECC.

Have you set a date for your next colpo?

Old 10-29-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
(female)

jessie8685 HB User

Pickle, I am sorry you had to go through all of that, but I am glad to hear that that they found it in time and that you are OK now.

No I have not scheduled my next Colposcopy yet. I really didnt think anything was going to come back bad on my pap. It took my Doctor a month to get back to me with the recent pap result (that was just a few days ago). I had figured nothing was wrong.. no news is good news, I kept telling myself. Anyway, I havent scheduled the Colpo yet because now I have to wait for my insurance to okay it. I should be able to schedule it next week.

I will ask my doctor to do the ECC. I am not good with pain, so I was kind of bummed to hear that it hurts. I will go through with it anyway. I am so afraid I have cancer. I cant even think about it or I become paralyzed with fear.

Thank you so much for replying. I really appreciate it. It truly helps to hear from people who have gone through or are still going through this.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

You are welcome, Jessie! These boards were (emotional) life-savers while I was being diagnosed! Read up on the ECC so you know what to expect, but only read from reliable medical pages, you want what should happen, not worst-case-scenarios! (trust me, I've done that and it STILL terrifies me!).

One lesson I've learned along the way is to not wait for the doctor's office to contact you with test results. They can get lost, lost in the shuffle, or filed incorrectly. I always call back after 3-5 days to ask what is going on. Besides, if I get the results when I call, then I can prepare myself for either type of results. If I wait for THEM to call, then they might catch me off guard. Call me a control-freak - the shoe fits! hahahahaha

Let us know how you are doing, ok?

Closed Thread