It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
(female)

33SmashinPumkin HB User
Lightbulb High Risk HPV and abnormal pap-got questions!

I found out yesterday that I have an abnormal pap smear. They stated it was high risk HPV which causes cervical cancer. I guess I already have some cervical changnes so they are referring me to a doctor for a colpscopy and possibly bioposy. 2 years before I had a pap smear that was normal, and now this. My mom was 32 yrs old when she found out she had cervical cancer, and then eventually died when her cancer went metastatic at 41. I'm worried about my fate being similar.

I had no idea I had this until they called me with my pap smear results. I'm completely beside myself. I'm thankful I dont have the warts but wow I have something that causes cancer. I'm already high risk for cancer considering my family history. Ok, a little background on me is I was in a monogamous relationship from 1999-2007. I have slept around with a few people since 2007, some protected, some not but we were all tested for std's but obviously not for this. I did not have a pap smear in 2007, but had one in 2006 that was normal. I am assuming someone I had sex with in 2007 unknownly infected me with this. I feel bad now because I have passed it on without knowing it. Is it my responsibility to inform those people that I have this or what? I have never had an Std before so I'm clueless. I've been with my boyfriend for 6 months and we were both tested and clean but I'm sure he has it by now doesnt he? Is there anything he needs to do? Thank you in advance for your replies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: High Risk HPV and abnormal pap-got questions!

I totally know how you feel.

First of all HPV is spread by skin to skin contact, it isn't genetic (like breast or ovarian cancer can be). HPV is the most widely spread STD. If a person has had more than one sexual partner in his/her lifetime then it is highly likely he/she has been exposed to at least one (of 20+) strain of HPV that affect the genitals (cervical, vaginal, vulvar, penile, anal, oral/throat).

The pap test screens for atypical cells. If you are current with your paps, then there is a very good chance your doctors are finding the problem early. After a woman's pap comes back atypical, then the next step is for a gynecologist to look at the cervix more closely with the colposcope. At that time the doctor will likely take a pinch/punch biopsy of the cervix. It is also possible for the doctor to sample the cervical canal with an ECC (endocervical curettage). Those biopsies will give the doctor a good idea of what is going on.

It sounds like you've only missed your paps one year. I'm glad you went in this past year. Hopefully the doctors can find whatever is going on at a very early stage and do a minimal procedure to stop the growth of the atypical cells (by removing them).

I would like to caution you in assuming the HPV was contracted in the last year or so, unless you and your long-term partner were completely and utterly sexually-unexperienced when you met. HPV can be spread without full genital intercourse.

I hope that helps.

Have you made an appointment for your colopo (and hopefully an ECC)?

Old 11-01-2008, 12:29 PM   #3
(female)

33SmashinPumkin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post

I would like to caution you in assuming the HPV was contracted in the last year or so, unless you and your long-term partner were completely and utterly sexually-unexperienced when you met. HPV can be spread without full genital intercourse.

I hope that helps.

Have you made an appointment for your colopo (and hopefully an ECC)?

No, we werent. He we were both with less than 10 people when we got together. I read somewhere that you can get HPV in your teens-20's as it is harder to get as you get older cause the cervix isnt as suspectiable. But that it doesnt surface until 35-55 yrs old. That makes me feel a little better but then again it doesnt. What a freaking mess. *wugh*

Right now the symptoms I have is sometimes constant dull ache/pains in my pelvic area with or without a period.

My period is forever changing. Sometimes it comes on the 15th, then the 20th, sometimes even later. It always comes just comes later and later each month.

I've been having abnormal bloody mucus discharge in between my periods too but nothing that has been foul smelling.

And no matter how much I sleep I am always tired. Extremely tired. I feel like I could sleep my whole life away.

I dont know if any of those things have anything to do with what I got but those are the symptoms I am noticing.

And yes I have stuff in the works for an appointment. I gotta get a referral to my ob/gyn and I'm sure they will put me back in touch with the cancer dr I met up with back in 2006. I had a DVT and he specializes in cancer treatment as well as blood disorders. I have Lupus Anti-Coagulant as well.

I have another question, I slept with my highschool sweetheart when I was 17 yrs old unprotected and again when I was 20-21 yrs old. Is is possible he has this as well from that time? We just met up again and I dont want to chance giving it to him if he doesnt have it already. It's not fair to do that. So I have thought about just walking away from him to spare him. I appreciate your thoughts and advice. Thank you.

*Edited to add* My boyfriend and me are close to breaking up over this as he assumes I've been sleeping around on him. Honestly I think it's the other way around but I have no proof so I wont accuse him. It is just sickening.

Last edited by 33SmashinPumkin; 11-01-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Since neither of you was a totally unexperienced virgin when you had first sexual experience together, then there is absolutely NO WAY to know who contracted it from whom. There is absolutely no benefit in playing a blame-game. If you (or he) have other reasons to suspect infidelity, then that is a totally different issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33SmashinPumkin View Post
I read somewhere that you can get HPV in your teens-20's as it is harder to get as you get older cause the cervix isnt as suspectiable.
I've never heard that before. I *have* heard that most people contract HPV by the time they are in their mid 20s. I've also heard it doesn't usually surface until 35+ (as you've heard).

Old 11-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
(female)

WannaBMomV HB User

Like PickleEyes says, you can't make any assumptions about who contracted the virus from whom. It can be latent in your system for years, then rears its ugly head later.

On a different note, keep track of the dates your period comes over time - it might just be that you have a longer cycle but are regular. Also, what do you mean when you say bloody mucus discharge? If you're getting a little bit of spotting along with lots of very slippery stretchy fluid (like eggwhites) that's just an indicator of ovulation and perfectly normal. If it's something other than that, tell your doc.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:06 AM   #6
(female)

59donnak HB User

I can tell you from experience I was married and with Only the one man from 1977 to 2002 and the way my doctor explained it to me is that either one of us could have contracted the HPV virus before we even met each other and our ( my) immune system was strong enough to fight & suppress any signs of HPV. HPV has been around for a very long time but they are just recently finding out more & more about it. I had battled abnormal pap results for some 10yrs until they finally discovered that I had HPV. I hope that helps to answer some of your questions.

Closed Thread